Website Preview

Announcement and discussion of shortcuts available in the Online Gallery

Website Preview

Postby gb2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:48 pm

A recent posting from Ben Waldie over on peachpit.com presented a cool idea: previewing web pages via a Service: Five Automator Services Tips in Five Days: Preview Selected URL Highlight a link in any application (Mail, iChat, iCal, etc) and instead of opening it in your browser, you can get a Quick Look-like preview of the site instead.

Not everyone is on Snow Leopard (yet) or cares to set up Services, so this shortcut uses QuicKeys to run the Automator Workflow instead. Note that you will need to download the "Website Popup" action mentioned in Ben's article and install it before this shortcut will run properly at Mac OS X Automation: Services Downloads.

Click here to download

Scopes:  All Applications
Author:  jim
 Added:  December 11, 2009
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Website Preview

Postby llee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks! I replaced the key trigger with the choice to select it from the QuicKeys menu. Be warned that it replaces the clipboard contents.
llee

Postby jim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:37 pm

A version of the shortcut that saves the Clipboard's contents has been uploaded to replace the previous version. Re-download if you want the new version.

Thanks for pointing out the omission, llee!
jim
Site Admin

Postby llee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 pm

But when I try to use it, if I already have something other than text on the clipboard, image data, for example, that first step fails. I've been trying to work around that problem for a while. I was hoping there was a simple solution, but because variables are still text-based, you'd have to implement a system for side-saving binary data, I guess. Take a screen shot, open it in Preview, make a selection from the image and copy it, then select a text URL somewhere and run the shortcut. You'll see what I mean.

Tried it again with shortcut debugging on and it worked, but fails again when I turn debugging off. Either a transitory problem or a problem with scope I suppose. I'll try to add pauses and report back Thanks.
llee

Postby llee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:08 pm

It was apparently a scope problem. I got it working by inserting a switch to application > Finder step just before the workflow step. That was weird. Thanks.
llee

Postby jim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:22 pm

What application is providing the image to the clipboard?

The pasteboard has a concept of lazily providing items to it if said item is large or expensive to transfer. Big, fat images would fall into this category, but any application can defer any content destined for the pasteboard. QuicKeys tries to gather all the promised data when it works with the Clipboard variable but if the providing application is doing something weird, we might miss it.

Some older apps, especially those written in Carbon, require the app to switch out from being frontmost first before writing its promised files to the pasteboard. That's effectively what happens when you check "Make applications accept insert" in steps like "Use Variable" and you have "Insert Value" selected. That's why switching apps could work.
jim
Site Admin

Return to Shortcut Gallery Submissions