Having problems with Web actions

Having problems with Web actions

Postby Mirsky » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi. I'm testing out QuicKeys for Mac. However, I'm having some trouble with it when trying to create Web actions. When I press "choose element" and then the caps lock key to locate a webpage element in Safari, QuicKeys never recognizes any elements. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried using the New York Times webpage and craigslist, and I've clicked on many different types of elements. I do have the add-on loaded. Web actions are one of the main reasons I'm trying the program so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thanks.
Mirsky

Re: Having problems with Web actions

Postby gb2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 am

after you press the "Choose Element" button you go to the web page and you hoover over the item you want and press the caps lock. The cursor should change from yellow to green when it is locked in. You don't do any clicking of the actual thing you want to setup. A simple test would be to go to Google and try setting up the Google Search button. What version of the OS and QuicKeys are you running. The current version is 4.0.7 and the Add-on should be version 1.0.4.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 am

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I'm working with Mac OS X 10.5.8; Safari 4.04. I don't know where to look for the Add-on version, but it should be up to date as I run the trial version downloaded today (10 January 2010).

I have created a new Shortcut. It is set to Safari, shortcut key option-e.
I add a web action from Internet & networks
I click the Choose element button.

I command-tab to switch to Safari.
I already had Google open in Safari.
I hover the cursor over the text input field. The cursor is a yellow circle-like thing.
I press the caps lock key (without any mouse clicking). The cursor turns green. I click the Done button.
In QK, it says that no element is defined.

I can do the same with the search button. Upon pressing the caps-lock key, the cursor turns green and the button gets kind-a-photographed: snapshot of part of the button visible in the transparently gray window (but no text is added after Element, type and current value). Upon clicking the Done button this doesn't result in a defined element either.

The Web action feature was my hope of a way out to get past a pop-up problem. I'll report that in another thread.

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 am

I think you are missing an important step after you have gotten the cursor to turn green signifying that it is locked in on an element - you have to use the "Add" button that is in the QuicKeys Web Element Locator dialog.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 am

gb2 - Thanks for your reply. Now the problem is reduced to: Why is in my case the Add button gray? To avoid any problems that might be caused by my web app, I tested on Google.

I create shortcut
I add a web action
I select the Choose element button
(I command tab to Safari, which has the Google site open)
I hover my cursor over the text input field, click the caps lock key,
The translucent gray dialog box changes its text and shows the Add button, but grayed out, with a note to the left of it that I should select a different element.

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm

what the note is trying to say is that if you want to add another element before closing the dialog use the caps lock to lock on to it.

What gets filled in for the Element and Type and does it get a picture of where you were hovering over to the right? You also said that you command-tab to Safari after you click the Choose Element button. Do you really have to do that - it is suppose to automatically switch for you. In the QuicKeys preferences under the Add-Ons tab is where you will find what version you have installed of the Input Manager. It should be version 1.0.4.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I hover (with the yellow cursor) over an element (such as a text field, button, etc.).
I press the caps lock key
The cursor turns green and a snapshot picture is shown in the translucent gray dialogue window. However, no info is filled out for Element, type and current value (which in turn is probably why the Add button doesn't become active).

In add-on of preferences it says I have 1.0.4
I (now) am indeed brought automatically to Safari after pressing the Choose elements button.

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Please use the following link to Contact Support. I'd like to get some screenshots and log files from you.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:52 am

Working solution received from Technical Support by e-mail:

quit Safari then go into QuicKeys preferences under the Add-Ons tab and click the Uninstall Input Manager. Quit QuicKeys and then go to this folder /Library/InputManagers/ and remove QuicKeysIM if it is there and then restart QuicKeys. Go back into QuicKeys preferences and click on the Install Input Manager.

Thanks! :D

What is left to master is the selection of pop-up menu's.

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 pm

was there a QuicKeysIM in the /Library/InputManagers/ folder?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I didn't check before the uninstall, but when I went there afterwards, it wasn't there.

Sorry to bother you again. I can now set a pop-up to the correct (The manual doesn't contain the word 'index' used in the web actions object). I think it starts counting at zero. How do I get it to click it instead of only selecting it?

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:19 pm

a Selection does start at 0 index for the first item in the menu. I'm not sure what you mean by how do you click it instead of selecting it, it is a selection and the page should see that it is changed when it is executed. Give me a link to a page and details on what you want selected in the pop-up are you having problems with?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 pm

It is the company web app, so there is no URL to give. It indeed selects the menu item. When I do that with a mouse, it is triggered (and moves to a page related to that menu item). As it is now, it only shows the selection (i.e. menu item) and then just sits there (no execution).

Bert
bert

Postby gb2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

talked to the programmer and he says that is a known issue that would require a major rewrite of Web Actions. Not having access to the page you are having trouble with all I can suggest is after the Selection trying to do either a Pop-up Menu or Click step on the pop-up in question to give it a nudge. Another way would be to use Type Keystrokes of Tabs to get to the pop-up and then use a Type Keystroke of Space to open the pop-up, then Type Text to select the item in the menu and another Type Keystroke of Space to pick that item.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for all your efforts and the suggestions. I'll explore them.

Bert
bert

Postby microhelper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm having similar problems with Web Actions: cannot choose any element in Safari. I get as far as selecting the element, having the selection icon turn green, but the Add button stays gray/inactive, so I can't add the element to the shortcut. This happens regardless of what is selected (including, for example, the Google search string entry box). This is a newly downloaded and installed copy of QuicKeys 4.0.7 (131), with Input Manager 1.0.4 installed, Mac OS 10.6.4. Wasn't able to apply the suggested fix because there's no InputManager folder in any of the Library folders (HD root level, System folder, user folder). Really would like to use the Web Actions! We do have Spell Catcher loaded on this computer as a Mac OS Input Source, but even with SpellCatcher disabled, can't select an element in Web Actions. Thanks for any assistance.
microhelper

Postby gb2 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am

Please use the following link to Contact Support. They will probably want to get some log files from you.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby ezvc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm having this exact same problem. Tried advice above about deleting the file but it doesn't help. I already sent in a support ticket. Has anyone else solved this problem? I really would like to use this software.

Thanks
ezvc

Postby ezvc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Its working now. Just started to work when I tried it again. GO figure!
ezvc

Postby gb2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 am

I was wondering what was going on, it had been over 8 hours from when we replied to your support request you sent in with no reply from you to our questions.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby sam » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Was this issue ever resolved? I'm currently having the same issue.

macOS Mojave (Version 10.14.1)
sam

Postby gb2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am

it is still an outstanding bug. No time frame on when it would be resolved.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion