Anyone use QuicKeys with Pro Tools

Postby hdovesn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 am

I'm wondering if QK can copy and paste file names into regions for me? I have one track with the named regions and one track right below it where the regions need to be renamed exactly as the track above. I'm wondering of QK can copy my actions and move on to the rest. there are a little over 600 regions that need to be renamed.

PS--I've never used QK's b4 so this it totally new to me.
hdovesn

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:28 am

I'm sure there are many QuicKeys users using Pro Tools just none visiting this forum. Not knowing the program - how would you do it manually without QuicKeys. For example if you can use keyboard commands like tab or arrow keys or command keys to move between the fields where you want to copy and paste then it could be done.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby hdovesn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:09 pm

icomposer responded to this. He listed out step-by-step Pro Tools key commands for this. You would do it the same way as he directed, but manually for every region. It can be mind numbing. :shock:
hdovesn

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:12 pm

I don't find any user on this forum named icomposer or any post to your question besides my previous one.
gb2
Site Admin

Has anyone used QuicKeys with Pro Tools

Postby hdovesn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Sorry. I was referring to a different forum. But here is the information he listed! I have tested it out both with QuicKeys and without--and both work.

"First of all, do not print each of the individual files as separate regions on the lower track. Instead, record them all as one single audio file. That way, when you rename, you're actually renaming regions instead of the audio files, so you won't get the name duplication problem.

Once the full file is recorded, select the first insertion point on the original region track and shift-click the lower track with the newly recorded track and tab forward through each one, with a command-e in between (essentially using the region boundaries of the top track as insertion points for slicing the lower track). You can QK this with a script that sets up a loop of tab, command-e. I set the loop points to bring up a user dialog box to input the amount of times I want it to loop. In you case, enter 600 and that's done.

On the renaming, here's how your script should look:

Loopstart (prompt for repeat count)
Control tab (moves the region selection to the next region)
Control P (moves the region selection up to the top track)
Apple-shift-r (opens the region name dialog box)
Apple-c (copies the name)
Return (closes the dialog box)
Control-; (moves the selection back down to the lower track)
Apple-shift-r (opens the region name dialog box)
Apple-v (pastes the name in the dialog box)
Return (closes the dialog box)
Repeat Loop

Be sure to start this cycle when your selection is the first region on the lower track. "
hdovesn

Re: Anyone use QuicKeys with Pro Tools

Postby JLIT » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:27 am

What other forums are there where QuicKeys and Pro Tools discussions occur? I would love to know it so if you could post the info (as long as the admin doesn't have any problems with that). I would guess it shouldn't be a problem because after all those whom have purchased the licenses only want to fully maximize the usefulness of QuicKeys so getting help doing so from others especially would seem to be encouraged... Thanks!
JLIT

Postby gb2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 am

I don't know where the previous posters were referring but I found several mentions of QuicKeys here: ADR Studio Software
gb2
Site Admin

Postby JMCSoundFX » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:35 pm

I know this is a very old thread but I found this video recently: Renaming Audio with Protools and QuicKeys Part 2

It describes creating a shortcut for doing track renaming as you described.
JMCSoundFX

Return to QKM General Discussion