Shortcuts Only Work Once...

Shortcuts Only Work Once...

Postby philosophize » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm

I could have sworn I posted this already this morning, but I must have done something wrong...

Anyway, I have been using QK3 for a while without any trouble. I installed QK4 on the assumption that upgrading would be a good idea, but shortcuts only work once and that won't work for me.

1. These are old shortcuts, and not that complicated.

2. The shortcut is definitely finishing - nothing is paused or waiting.

3. If I go into QK4 to change the key combination, it won't work - QK isn't receiving the keystrokes.

4. Quitting and relaunching QK4 fixes the problem. More interesting is that going into preferences and switching what sees the hot keys first (QK or other apps) also fixes it. Doesn't matter what it's originally set to or what I change it to, just so long as I change it. Then it works.

5. I thought it might be SpellCatcher, but turning that off didn't change anything. Restarting the computer fresh also didn't help.

6. Using a shortcut from the menu always works, so the problem lies in QK being able to receive the keystrokes.

Generally, it's consistent that a shortcut works once, then no more unless I do a fix mentioned above. After restarting the computer it seemed like the shortcuts worked more than once, but that stopped.

There are more diagnostics that I could do, but it will be tough to track down what, if anything, is conflicting. So I thought I'd check here to see if there was a no problem - something that creates exactly these symptoms. I didn't see any solutions already here, but I tried to list the most obvious issues brought up when anything like this is asked about...
philosophize

Re: Shortcuts Only Work Once...

Postby gb2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I would first make sure that Input Compatibility is set to QuicKeys sees user actions first.

1) what version of QuicKeys and OS?
2) So you weren't having any problems before upgrading to QuicKeys 4?
3) what do you mean in your item 3 that you can't change the key combination? Do you get an error message?
4) if you create a new shortcut that is just a Message step does it stop working after you use it once?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby philosophize » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:51 pm

OK, I'll set it to "QK first". I'm pretty sure that's where it started - I changed it while looking for a fix, then discovered that change it always fixes, regardless of where it starts when the problem appears.

1. OS 10.6.8, QK 4.0.2 - looks like that isn't the latest (guess it was longer since I downloaded than I thought).

2. Nope, no problems. My shortcuts are pretty simple though - copy text, switch app, paste text, tab a couple of times, switch back, etc.

3. No error message - nothing happens. It's as if I'm not doing anything. But the key strokes are occurring. I opened keyboard viewer and verified that the system is registering keystrokes.

4. The message shortcut won't work after my main shortcut fails to work (it's just copying and pasting tweets being scheduled in SocialOomph, with a loop). I can't yet get a message shortcut to fail on its own.

I don't know if this is related to the above problem or if it's a separate problem, but it seems to be QK related: my Finder starts going nuts when running QK4. I'm talking about 95-100+%, even when I'm hardly doing anything. Force-quitting Finder doesn't help; once Finder comes back, the usage levels are right back to where they were. I thought I had gotten it to stop, but immediately after starting back with QK4 (I had switched back earlier today), the problem returned.

And it happens regardless of whether QK is running - almost as if QK gets something started in Finder and it keeps going. None of it was happening until I tried out QK4, though.
philosophize

Postby gb2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm

download 4.0.7 and try that.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion