QuicKeysSystemHelper

QuicKeysSystemHelper

Postby Sepp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Since a few weeks, I encounter a very nasty phenomenon when running QuicKeys 4.

In fact when opening QuicKeys starts to display a message stating that "QuicKeys needs to run the QuicKeysSystemHelper...." and that I would have to enter my admin password. Doing so is of no avail, because another message of the same kind with the same message pops up, all in all about 3 times per start. Clicking "Cancel" instead of entering a password does the same: the message pops up 3 times before disappearing.... :(

I checked the access rights of the file "QuicKeysSystemHelper", which was originally rwxrwxr-x, owner = user, group "staff". It changed then to rwxrwxrwx with owner = root and group = wheel, but QK continues to display the starting messages.

Any help or ideas?
Sepp

Config: MacMini Intel 2011, OSX 10.6.8
Sepp

Re: QuicKeysSystemHelper

Postby gb2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 pm

you shouldn't be changing anything inside the QuicKeys package. Try downloading a fresh copy from the our website and throwing away the preference file in your Home folder Home/Library/Preferences/com.QuicKeys.QuicKeys.plist Then try running Disk Utility and repairing Disk Permissions on your boot drive.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Sepp » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:27 am

I did not change anything: the QuicKeysSystemHelper did it. I did only check if changes happened, as the QuicKeysSystemHelper pretended it will changes ITS access rights.

I had already done downloading multiple fresh copies, running Disk Utility (although this will not bring anything, as QK is not on the startup disk).
In fact, since good old OS 9 system times, I had places QK (and all other third party software) on a separate partition. This did not hinder QK (including version 407) to run smoothly until just recently...

Sepp
Sepp

Postby gb2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Sorry you had so much info that I thought the worst. I don't think it has to do with being on a different drive. If the permissions are changing then it sounds like something has happened to the preference file that stores that it has already dealt with the dialogs. I would run the Disk Permissions and possibly trash the preference file like first suggested if that doesn't help.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Sepp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:10 pm

OK, all done: repaired permissions, downloaded a fresh copy of QK407, trashed ALL prefs of QK, removed the caches in ~Library:Caches. Starting QK: and again, the systemhelper message appears, I enter my password, the systemhelper message appears again...

Moreover, I get now also this message:
One or more Shortcut Subscriptions could not be loaded.
The subscriptions listed below could not be loaded as they are in the QuicKeys X3 format. They must be updated for use with QuicKeys 4.
unquote

Now this is very new: all my shortcuts are in QK 4 format, since long time....
A comparison of the shortcuts in the backup folder on the desktop and those in my QuicKeys folder shows, that there had not been any changes made.

Sepp
Sepp

Postby gb2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

first lets get rid of the Shortcut Subscriptions warning. Are you using the Shortcut Subscriptions feature to point to an additional folder of just shortcuts somewhere else? When you stated that QuicKeys wasn't on the startup disk you meant that just the QuicKeys application is not in your Applications folder and the QuicKeys folder and preferences or where they should be in the Library folder on the startup drive?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Sepp » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 am

All my shortcuts are grouped in several folders in a separate folder on a special partition, for easy accessing when starting from different startup disks like this:
PARTITIONNAME/QK folder Name/SC1 Name; PARTITIONNAME/QK folder Name/SC2 Name; and so on... There are no shortcuts somewhere else.
The QuicKeys application is also on that special partition PARTITIONNAME, like: PARTITIONNAME/Users Applications.
Preferences and other stuff are in the normal places where they should be (~/Library/Preferences, /Library/Preferences.
This placing worked for years on different systems from old OS9 to OSX 10.7 (normal working system OSX 10.6.8 ) without problems so far.

Note:
For testing reasons only, I had tried to put it also in StartupDisk/applications, but the nasty effects were occurring there also...
In between I had observed, that on launching QK.app, QuicKeysSystemHelper is launched as often as there are devices written in the devices window (keyboards and mice).
My question: is QuicKeysSystemHelper doing something to attached USB devices?

Sepp
Sepp

Postby gb2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am

it looks like it is used for when a Device has been set for QuicKeys to use it exclusively and when you setup a Day & Time trigger with a Wake or Start up option checked. Please use the following link to Contact Support. I'd like to get a movie to see the whole process of this dialog coming up and maybe get some other files. You will not be able to attach until we reply to your initial request.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Sepp » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 am

I should have read your post a little bit earlier :)
I do not have a device set for QuicKeys to use it exclusively, but the hint with the Day & Time trigger would have spared me a long work.

In fact, I did not return to the Forum for a while, because I started a long and strenuous work for testing my shortcuts (moving all my 920 shortcuts out of their folders and then by groups back again, starting always QuicKeys to see what happens).
This way, I have now singled out the culprit: among my 920 shortcuts there's indeed one which uses a Day & Time trigger. Removing that trigger solved the problem.
Thanks for your valued help
Sepp
Sepp

Return to QKM General Discussion