Quick copy and paste

Quick copy and paste

Postby Layo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 am

I've downloaded the "Quick copy and paste" shortcut from the gallery.

Lets say I've copied some text and I want to paste it in several different places. Can I set the shortcut so it will keep on pasting at each click, until I tell it to stop?
Layo

Re: Quick copy and paste

Postby gb2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 am

you could have the last step jump back to the 2nd. The only problem with that is that it would never exit out of the shortcut, so you would have to create another shortcut that would stop it. Setup a Create>QuicKeys>QuicKeys Actions>Stop Playback shortcut that will be triggered when you want to exit the Quick copy and paste shortcut.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby llee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am

I wouldn't expect to be able to trigger a Stop Playback shortcut while a repeat loop or wait step is running. Does that work?

Anyway, I would try this. Keep in mind that it may not be ideal for you, because minimum timeout for a shortcut as of now is 5 seconds, so it makes you wait 5 seconds between pastes. However, if nothing happens when you first click, you can keep clicking until the 5 seconds pass. Also, keep in mind that the escape key may need to be pressed firmly (that is that it may need to stay down for a brief period of time) so that the shortcut senses it. Having said that, here are the steps. Add the extra ones to the right place in the Quick Copy and Paste shortcut, or create a different shortcut keeping whatever elements you want from the one you downloaded.

1. Repeat (set the repeat number to a fixed number that will exceed what you would expect the number of paste actions to ever actually be.)
2. Type command-c (already exists in Quick Copy and Paste)
3. Wait for User action - Press escape (This is the one that has to be extravagantly configured. Set Wait for to User Action, Set User action to Press escape, put a checkmark in Timeout and set the timeout to Step fails after 5 seconds which is the current minimum value. Configure step results for On Step Success: stop shortcut and do not notify, On Step Failure: Jump to step, next step.
4. Wait for click (already exists)
5. Pause briefly (maybe not needed at all, maybe up to a half second)
6. Type command-v (already exists)
7. End repeat.

This idea suggests the feature request of including choices of shorter duration for the Timeout values available in shortcuts.
llee

Postby gb2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

llee wrote:I wouldn't expect to be able to trigger a Stop Playback shortcut while a repeat loop or wait step is running. Does that work?

yes - that's what it is designed to do.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby llee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:36 am

Just curious, is there something unique about the Stop Playback shortcut that allows it to be triggered although other shortcuts can't be, or is it generally possible to trigger other shortcuts before the currently running one stops? The reason I ask is that I've got a few shortcuts that would function better if I could trigger another before they finish, but for some reason I'm not able to. But I'm also aware that there's no general limitation that prevents multiple shortcuts from running simultaneously. So I may want to try some more troubleshooting when it appears to me that I've encountered a situation where I can't trigger another shortcut while one is running.
llee

Postby gb2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 am

Stop Playback has always been in the QuicKeys menu and the shortcut was added to do the same thing. Selecting Stop Playback from the QuicKeys menu was not always possible depending on what you had the cursor doing at the time you wanted to stop a shortcut. Stop Playback will stop any playing shortcut. You can't trigger more than one shortcut at a time other then to stop it.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion