Unstable QuicKeys

Unstable QuicKeys

Postby almo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:37 pm

I have been using QK, through various versions, for 10-12 years. Love it. Mostly simple stuff: hot keys to open applications, enter passwords, etc. Presently I am running version 4.0.3. I have never had any trouble with any version of QK until now.

Two days ago I upgraded my Mac OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8.

QuicKeys still works. But only for a while. I can't determine why, but suddenly it will no longer function. I can make it work again only by Restarting my computer. Then it works again. For a while. Etc., etc.

I tried replacing 4.0.3 with 4.0.7. But it will not take. Keeps telling me that 4.0.7 cannot replace 4.0.3 because 4.0.3 is "in use". But it is not in use. I closed it down.

I am exasperated. I really want to continue using QuicKeys. Can anyone help?
almo

Re: Unstable QuicKeys

Postby gb2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm

turn off "Open QuicKeys at login" in preferences and reboot your machine. Replace 4.0.3 with 4.0.7 and then run 4.0.7 and turn back on the preference.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby almo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks. But when you say "turn off Open QuicKeys at login in preferences" -- which preferences are you referring to? Apple preferences? or QuicKeys preferences?

I can't find anything saying "Open QuicKeys at login" in any preferences anywhere.

I'm sorry to be so ignorant.
almo

Postby gb2 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 am

it can be done in either but I was referring to the one in QuicKeys preferences. On the General tab under General Settings it is the 4th item there.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby almo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 am

Thank you very much. I would never have been able to figure that out. I did as you said and am now running 4.0.7. QuicKeys works fine. I hope it continues to do so...
almo

Postby Sepp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am

Since about two months, I observe the same: QuicKeys 4.0.7 just stops functioning, and any click on the dock or MenuExtras symbols do not work, not even showing a spinning ball. The "force-quit" window does not show QuicKeys "hanging".
Console doesn't give a hint, activity monitor shows QuicKeys and its helpers as running, so I have just no information whatsoever, why QuicKeys does not anymore accept a click...

I had deinstalled it, thrown the caches and prefs away, but to no avail. I tried nearly every possible cleaning app from tinkertool systems to mainMenu, again to no avail.

This happens on my MBP 2011 as well as on my Mini 2012, both running 10.6.8 and both syncing daily. QK is not set to start at login.
Force quitting and restarting works until the next stop...
Any hint?
Sepp
Sepp

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am

Doesn't sound the same - original post was because latest version wasn't being used. Everything stopped working and you are saying clicking isn't. Are you saying that when you do a Click with a shortcut or when you physically click on some thing that it doesn't work? Please use the following link to Contact Support. They will want to see your logs and ask more questions.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion