Shortcuts have turned into folders

Shortcuts have turned into folders

Postby TCa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:23 pm

I am running QuicKeys 4.0.7 on a Mac running 10.8.4

I have just noticed that all my shortcuts have turned into folders. (I am looking in the Shortcuts folder, in the QuicKeys folder, in my user library.) All shortcuts run normally, but when I drag a shortcut from the editor to the desktop to create a clickable icon, it turns also turns into a folder. I can not click this folder to run it, and several other shortcut icons I had created the same way, also have turned into folders and no longer work.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks
TCa

Re: Shortcuts have turned into folders

Postby gb2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Shortcuts are actually folders, more specifically they are Packages. A Package is a folder that is normally treated by the Finder as a single file. Something like another 3rd party utility has caused the Finder to not think they are Packages. If you do a Get Info in the Finder on one of the shortcuts does its name have an extension of .qkshortcutd and show that it is owned by QuicKeysBackgroundEngine?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby TCa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 pm

If I do a Get Info on a shortcut as you suggested it shows an extension of .qkshortcutd. But there is nothing that indicates ownership. What next? Is there a way to turn folders back into packages?

Also, (I mentioned this in the first post) if I drag a shortcut from the QK editor on to my desktop it used to turn into a clickable icon, but now it just turns into a folder. How do I fix this?

Thanks
TCa

Postby gb2 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 am

it sounds like your system's Launch Services file has some problem with it. You might try to Run Disk Utility and repair permissions and if that doesn't work then try and remove the QuicKeys application from the Applications folder and restart your machine. Go to our website and download a fresh copy and install in the Applications folder. Then hopefully when you run it for the first time the system will update the Launch Services file with the information of what QuicKeys can open and the folders will change back into clickable packages.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby TCa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:14 am

Simple fix (but I still don't know why I had the problem in the first place...) - I rebooted the computer - shortcuts are back to being packages. Go figure...
TCa

Return to QKM General Discussion