Unable to choose Pop-up Menus Effectively-Photoshop Printing

Unable to choose Pop-up Menus Effectively-Photoshop Printing

Postby m021478 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:04 pm

I cannot seem to get things setup properly for QuicKeys to automate the process of configuring specific options in the 'Print with Preview' settings in Photoshop...Please use the following link to view some screenshots of the window that I am trying to setup accordingly using QuicKeys:

--picture not found--

I've tried everything I can think of, including using the following QuicKeys shortcut actions; Pop-Up Menus; Menus; Clicks; Multiple Clicks; etc...nothing I can think of has successfully worked though...Pop-Up menus seems to get me the closest, though I get inconsistent results...Choosing 'Set Pop-Up Menu' only sometimes highlights with green some of the menus in the particular window, and other times, it doesn't highlight any at all...does anyone know what 'Window Type' these Photoshop Print options are recognized as by QuicKeys?

Can someone help me out here and offer some suggestions as to how I can go about setting this all up correctly?

Also, you can download a .zip compressed export of the Shortcut steps that I've setup at this point by using the line below...

--file not found--

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
m021478

Postby gb2 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Your shortcut has 25 steps and you lost me on the 1st step. How do you get the Print Preview dialog up by doing a Command - P? Shouldn't it be Command - Option - P? I think it would be helpful to list what you are trying to accomplish with each step. Like

steps:
1 open Print Preview dialog
2 select Epson4800NEW-IlfordGalerieSmoothPearl-GT from Printer Profile menu
3 press Page Setup.. button

etc..
gb2
Site Admin

Postby m021478 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Sorry for not having mentioned that in the first place...but with Photoshop CS2,, it allows the user the ability to customize their keyboard shortcuts, and seeing as how I exclusively use 'Print with Preview' and have never once used 'Print', I switched these keyboard shortcuts...so that's how I get into the 'Print with Preview dialog with just Cmd+P...as for the rest of it all, here is what I am trying to do

1 Open Print Preview dialog
2 Select "Epson4800NEW-IlfordGalerieSmoothPearl-GT" from Printer Profile menu
3 Press Page Setup button in the Page Setup dialog, I would like it to choose my specific printer from the list, then choose a specific page size...(Ideally, once I learn how to setup the shortcut one time for one specific printer and paper size, I plan on creating many variation of the shortcut for each paper and printer that I might choose to print from...). For explanations sake, lets just say that I would like to switch it to use the Epson 4800, and switch the page size to Letter (8.5x11" Paper)...The default orientation for the page setup window will be fine and doesn't need to be altered or adjusted in any way...
4. Then, once the shortcut has clicked the OK button to exit the page setup window which returns it to the initial print with preview window, I would like it to click the 'Print...' button from the initial 'Print with Preview' button...then in the next window that appears, I would like it to verify that the chosen printer (in this case, the Epson 4800) is chosen in the 'Printer:' pop-up menu, and then specify one of the presets I've created in the 'Presets:' pop-up menu, then click the print button to conclude the steps desired in this shortcut...
m021478

Postby gb2 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:35 am

what I was looking for was for all 25 steps. When not having the exact setup with the same number of items in each menu it makes it hard to know what you are trying for. For example I don't see why you are using the Up arrow and few times and then all of a sudden switch to using the Down arrow a couple of times. I know with the tab and space you got into a menu but I don't know why you would up and down without selecting something. If you are trying to setup a menu select and you don't get green over the pop-up that means that the program isn't following Apple's guidelines for how they create the controls and QuicKeys can't handle it then. Have you tried turning on Shortcut Debugging from the Shortcuts menu so that you can single step through the steps and see where you are going wrong?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby m021478 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:48 am

Basically I am unable to find a way to successfully choose an item from a pop-up menu (this is the case in all of the three windows involved - the main 'print with preview' window, the 'page setup' window, and the 'print' window)...all of the steps in my shortcut that seems a bit odd, such as repeated up or down arrows, spacebar-tab-return-etc keystrokes, are all backdoor attempts at choosing items from the various windows...

the repeated up-down arrow thing had to do with the fact that depending on whether or not one of my secondary printers was hooked up to my computer, there are either 3 or 4 options in this window, and the only way I could think to effectively ensure that the proper item was chosen in the list would be to first use the up arrow keyboard shortcut to get up to the top of the list, then use the down arrow keystroke to make my way back down to the appropriate printer to select it

Perhaps a more efficient way of helping me troubleshoot this issue than having me spell out the details of each and every one of the 25 steps involved would be for you to simply let me know how to select an item from one of the menus within any of these windows, and perhaps let me know if you can confirm that QuicKeys is simply unable to do so (because, as you mentioned, perhaps Adobe did not design these windows to adhere to Apple's standards)...If you can let me know how do effectively choose an item from even a single pop-up menu effectively, then I can just use that knowledge to do the same for the remaining pop-up menu options I need to have configured...Please let me know about this if you get a moment...

I would really appreciate your help with this, because if it is possible, it would allow me to tie in this shortcut with either a different QuicKeys Shortcut, an Automator Workflow or perhaps a Photoshop action in which I would finally be able to have batch printing capabilities that would require no user intervention for each and every image...

Thanks...and by the way, the level of support you offer for customers facing difficulties with your program is quite impressive!! Thanks!
m021478

Postby gb2 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:15 am

in the Print With Preview dialog - if pop-up menus are giving you a problem with "Pop-Up Menu" shortcuts you can always use a "Click" shortcut with "Relative to Window" as the method to bring up the menu. Then use a "Type Text" shortcut with the name of the menu item you want to select. Make sure you change the option from "Insert Text" to "Type Text". Most menus in OS X will allow you to type to select the items in them. Then you can use a "Type Keystroke" to do a "Space" to select the item.

See if this gets you any further, you might want to create a new shortcut that just works on one area at a time and then you can copy and paste the steps from your smaller working section into the final shortcut.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion