Scroll Up/Down functionality

Scroll Up/Down functionality

Postby wbtenor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Creating a stand-alone scroll up/down action and binding it to a keystroke seems to work fine, but when I incorporate scrolling in sequences, scrolling is either intermittent or doesn't work at all. The only success I've found to scroll up 5 times is by putting the scroll step inside a repeat 500 times. It seems to catch a scroll up every 100 times or so. Is there a better workaround that anyone has found?
wbtenor

Re: Scroll Up/Down functionality

Postby gb2 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:52 pm

first off what version of OS and QuicKeys, also what program(s) are you doing this in and try to accomplish?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby wbtenor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:53 pm

10.9.5 / QK 4.0.7

Working with Finale 2012 (or 2014…same behavior) in any of the dialog windows with a scrollbar. Due to a long-standing bug (or lack of feature), multiple selections via select all, shift/command selections by keyboard highlighting, etc. are not allowed in certain dialog boxes. The only means of multiple selection is shift-clicking. My existing sequence gets to the dialog window, gets to the end of the list via <Type Keystroke: "end"> and then needs to scroll to the top of the list to shift-click the first selection to mimic Select All. If you don't have the program, this may not make much sense, but it is the only way for multiple selections at this time. It is a process I repeat many times a day in multiple windows. Ideal place for a macro, I'd say.

I don't know if my mouse has anything to do with it, but I'm using a Apple's Magic Mouse. For whatever it's worth, when recording new sequences, I always end up with about 20 extra steps of scroll wheel actions that I delete out. Magic Mouses are notoriously sensitive, so I just deal with it.
wbtenor

Postby gb2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 am

I have a copy of 2010 - does it have the same problem? If so give an example path to a dialog that exhibits this problem. I'm not sure what kind of interface item you are talking about when you say multiple selections via select all. If you are using a Type Keystroke for end doesn't home work to go to the top?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby wbtenor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the followup. Yes, 2010 should behave the same way. I'm referring to selection dialog boxes such as the expression, chord, articulation, or shape selections. To test out what I'm referring to, open a default document (from File menu—without setup wizard), choose your expression tool and double-click in a measure (or press SHIFT 1) to bring up the Expression Selection dialog. Depending on your zoom settings, you should have a list of about 70 expressions that you can scroll up or down with.

The end goal is to clear out the library by selecting all and deleting. Typing "end" brings the cursor to the last expression and selects it. Likewise, typing "home" brings the cursor to the first element and highlights it, but does not allow for SHIFT-Home to select everything. As I mentioned before, the only method I've found that works is to go to the end (select), scroll up, and SHIFT-click relative to the window to get the first item. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. I tried to keep it a bit vague at first in order to be of use to a broader audience base for the forum, but perhaps this is a Finale-specific issue?
wbtenor

Postby gb2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:18 pm

I was able to duplicate what you are seeing. I think it is just that Finale can't handle the scrolling as fast as QuicKeys is doing it within the Repeat loop. I just put a small .1 second Pause step after the scroll and it appeared to work great then. You may need to modify the number of times you do the Repeat and maybe the Pause time for your situation.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby wbtenor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Great tip. The sweet spot for me was .35 seconds. Works like a charm. Thanks for the quick response!
wbtenor

Postby wbtenor » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:10 pm

AHA! I figured out a very important component to this just now. If my mouse is hovered anywhere on the window to be scrolled, it works flawlessly with the slight delay. When the mouse was off the frontmost window, nothing would scroll or it was extremely intermittent. So, I just added a step to put the mouse position somewhere on the window before scrolling. Hope that helps someone down the road…
wbtenor

Return to QKM General Discussion