QK and Apple USB white keyboard (A1048) - does it work?

QK and Apple USB white keyboard (A1048) - does it work?

Postby Andrew Harrison » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and looking forward to engaging with you all.

I'm a professional musician and long-time Finale and Logic Pro user, and I've heard a lot about using QK with Finale, however I've never got around to embarking upon the QK journey until now. I use two keyboards with my studio setup, and my Finale keyboard is my older white Apple USB keyboard (A1048) with lots of short cut stickers on it. I've been trying to setup some basic QK shortcuts, however I can't seem to get the function keys on the white Apple keyboard to work (apart from the Expose, Dashboard etc bits). I'm running 10.7.5 on a Mac Pro, and when I check System Prefs/Keyboard, the box to tick 'Make function keys F1, F2' etc isn't there when I have this keyboard plugged in. When I plug in my newer Apple USB keyboard, (the flatter one) the option box suddenly appears in System Prefs/Keyboard

So how can I use the older white keyboard with QK on 10.7.5? Unfortunately I've spent money on the Finale shortcut stickers, and have set up my workflow around these years ago. I'm not keen to change this situation if possible.

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,
ANDREW HARRISON
Andrew Harrison

Re: QK and Apple USB white keyboard (A1048) - does it work?

Postby gb2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 am

that keyboard is too old to use that feature of the OS. The OS checks to see if the keyboard has a Fn key and if it doesn't it doesn't provide that checkbox in System Preferences because without that key you wouldn't be able to use the special feature keys that are already assigned to those F-keys. You can still use QuicKeys with any other combination of command-option-shift-control keys, just not the F-keys.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion