use variables to rename files and folders?

use variables to rename files and folders?

Postby MondoTV » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Bit of a newbie question here..

I have a template folder that I wish to use as a basis for new projects. I can work how to declare a variable and assign it within a macro. What I want to do is copy a folder named xx_template and all its contents to a new folder name xx_## or even a completely new name from that assigned variable. I then want to rename any matching documents (xx_template) using the find function and replace the filenames with the new xx_## prefix.

I can see there are functions to do all that but how do I use the newly assigned variable to do that? For example when I use the rename files/folder option how do I use the variable text? How do I search for a folder or file based on a newly assigned variable?

Thanks

John
MondoTV

Re: use variables to rename files and folders?

Postby gb2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 am

the Rename Files shortcut step does not currently make use of QuicKeys Variables. You would have to go into the step each time you wanted to use it and change the "Replace" field for the "Action: Find and Replace" with what you wanted the new folder xx_## prefix to be and then run it probably with "Target: Finder Selection". So I would set the new project folder name up in the shortcut and close it and then go to the Finder and copy the template folder and the duplicate folder would be then selected and you could then trigger the shortcut on that folder.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM General Discussion