Send MIDI from QuicKeys

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Send MIDI from QuicKeys

Postby nblume14 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am

I really need to send MIDI from QuicKeys into Logic 9. This could entail sending MIDI notes or CC controls, either would accomplish what I'm setting out to do. I realize that QuicKeys itself does not have the ability to send MIDI, but does anyone have a quick/elegant way of accomplishing this. Perhaps a terminal command or an AppleScript that would occur in between?

Another option I've considered is having QuicKeys trigger an OSC message to Osculator, perhaps by way of an AppleScript, which would in turn send the MIDI information needed to Logic 9 (i.e. QuicKeys -> AppleScript -> Osculator -> Logic 9). I believe this is possible based on some message boards I've read, however the specifics have gone over my head. I've installed Xcode and have liblo downloaded, but I just don't have the basic understanding of scripting that seems to be required in order to figure this out. Here is one of those message boards I'm referring to:

sending a OSC message from an AppleScript

I don't necessarily need to accomplish this as laid out in the referenced message board. I'm open to any possibility that would start with QuicKeys and end with MIDI information being read by Logic 9. Can anyone help?
nblume14

Re: Send MIDI from QuicKeys

Postby gb2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm

you haven't explained what you are really trying to do. You say you want to get MIDI commands into Logic 9, but why? Why aren't you just using a MIDI device?
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Send MIDI from QuicKeys

Postby nblume14 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Because ultimately I'd like to be able to use speech triggers in QuicKeys to perform this. Also, it's to trigger notes that are off the keyboard and therefore not as convenient to use a MIDI controller for.
nblume14

Return to QKM How Tos