Final Cut Pro 7 Batch XML Export?!

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Final Cut Pro 7 Batch XML Export?!

Postby sdean » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello Startly Community,

I am new to QuicKeys and Macro software in general. I want to know if QuicKeys can be setup to automatically Batch Export XML files out of Final Cut Pro 7 project files. The specific steps I believe would be needed are:

+Find all “.FCP” files in a specific folder.
+Open one FCP project.
+Make sure proper Bin/Source is selected (if not already).
+Click “File” (in the Menu Bar)
+Select “Export”
+Click “XML…”
+Click “OK” on the “Export XML…” pop-up Menu
+Automatically Rename the file as the FCP Project File Name (if possible)
+Click Save
+Close Project
+Open next FCP project and repeat until the Batch is done

Is this kind of workflow possible using QuicKeys? If so, how would I go about creating this Shortcut? Thanks so much for your time and any help you may give.

sdean
sdean

Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Batch XML Export?!

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 am

a Batch shortcut is probably not the first shortcut you should try to create being new to QuicKeys and macro programs. I would suggest you first start out by going through the manual and trying so single step shortcuts so you become more familiar with the individual steps that might make up your Batch shortcut. Not having Final Cut Pro 7 I can't say if you can do the whole Batch shortcut or not, you might need to break it down into one or more shortcuts to get around things that you might not be able to do with QuicKeys if there are any. After you have used QuicKeys a bit and gotten use to it I would first start to make a shortcut that doesn't handle the batching but just preforms what you want a single time and then you could work up to a batch shortcut.

+Make sure proper Bin/Source is selected (if not already).
not sure what you have to do to accomplish this - if a menu item that is selected use a Menu Selection step, otherwise you might use a Button or Click step depending on what kind of element it is

+Click “File” (in the Menu Bar)
+Select “Export”
+Click “XML…”
these 3 steps I would think would just be a Menu Selection of the menu item XML

+Click “OK” on the “Export XML…” pop-up Menu
this would probably be a Button step to press the OK button. I think you mean that this is a dialog and not a pop-up menu

+Automatically Rename the file as the FCP Project File Name (if possible)
not sure what you would have to do because I don't know what the name is going to start out with. You would probably need to do a Click step to get into the field and then maybe some Text steps to change or add on to the name.

+Click Save
probably a Button step to press the Save

+Close Project
maybe a Type Keystroke of the key combination that the program uses in the File menu to close a project.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Batch XML Export?!

Postby sdean » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks so much gb2.
sdean

Return to QKM How Tos