Move file from one folder to another

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Move file from one folder to another

Postby polyvox » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 am

I often set up two separate windows in the finder for the purpose of moving a file from one window to the other. But I find dragging and dropping files from one folder/window to another to be cumbersome and sometimes downright impossible. It would be lovely to have a shortcut that would take a selected file in the active window and move it to the other folder/window that happens to be on the same screen. Once again: two folders/windows on the screen (no more than two), both windows navigated to their desired paths, select a file in one window and BOOM, with the touch of a hot key it magically moves from its present location to the destination folder/window, which just happens to be the other folder on the screen. I know this means identifying (getting) the path of the destination folder, but it shouldn't be that hard, I mean, it's right there on the screen, right?

Many thanks ahead of time for any help here.
polyvox

Re: Move file from one folder to another

Postby gb2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 am

the easiest way I can think of is to setup a shortcut with your favorite hot key to trigger the task. Then use the "Copy Files" shortcut step set to "Finder Selection". Anytime you wanted to use this you would bring up the shortcut and click on the "Choose Destination..." button and because you have both windows open you drag the folder icon at the top of the window in the destination folder to the dialog that was brought up when you clicked the "Choose Destination..." button. Click Choose and save the shortcut. This would only be useful if you are going to be moving a lot of files between the same two folders. Otherwise you could probably do it with an AppleScript that you could possibly get help with at MacScripter.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos