Question on File Name changes

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Question on File Name changes

Postby bayswater » Mon May 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I am working my way through some QuicKeys examples, and have question about how file renaming works. The object is to clean up file names with inconsistent case, and extraneous dots, resulting in a file name with simple capitalized words. I've used the search and replace function to remove the dots, then the capitalize case function to clean up the upper and lower case inconsistency.

It works, expect it also replaces the final dot before the filename suffix, and effectively removes the ability of the suffix to define the file type.

Is there a means of changing file names without affecting the filename suffix? (e.g. the way the Finder rename function works)
bayswater

Re: Question on File Name changes

Postby gb2 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 am

Find and Replace is intended to allow you to change any part of the filename even the extension so you would have to change to a Regular Expression. Check Treat as Regular Expression and put into the Find field:
\.(?=.*\.)
and leave the Replace field blank.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bayswater » Tue May 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks. That worked. (except I still had to put a space in the Replace field)
bayswater

Postby gb2 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 pm

You said you removed the dots so you would use nothing in the field. It sounds like you are actually wanting to replace them with a space so you would use a space instead of leaving it blank.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos