"Wait for Copy/Transfer to finish"?

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

"Wait for Copy/Transfer to finish"?

Postby jman995x » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 pm

I transfer a lot of files between different drives/folders and use a QK shortcut to drag-n-drop files from one place to the other (sometimes 50,000 files at a time). I've been trying to figure out a way to get the QK shortcut to pause ("wait until...") the copying is complete, then continue with the rest of the shortcut. The only way I've been able to get close (sometimes) is to have QK wait for the "Copy" window to "Exist" and then wait for the "Copy" window to "No Longer Exist"...but sometimes QK gets stuck on that second wait command and when the "Copy" window goes away, QK is still in wait mode.
Is there any way to tell QK to wait until the computer is done transferring files from one place to another, then to resume with the rest of the shortcut?

Thanks,

J.

Mac OS 10.8.3
QK 4.0.7 (131)
jman995x

Re: "Wait for Copy/Transfer to finish"?

Postby gb2 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 pm

sounds like what you are doing would be about the only way you could do it with QuicKeys. I setup a shortcut like you described and didn't see any problem with it. I'd like to see your shortcut - please use the following link to Contact Support. After you get a reply you can attach the shortcut.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby jman995x » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:38 pm

I've tried every type of Window Instance Mode you recommended (Window Is...Foremost, Focused, Main, etc.) and the shortcut still seems to hang.

So, is there a way to put a step in the shortcut that checks the file size of the folder itself?
This way, once the folder size stops increasing, I can have that be the trigger that pushes the shortcut to the next step instead of the window appearing/disappearing.

Of, if you have any other step that you can recommend that would be able to sense activity (or lack thereof) on the part computer (for instance: say I wanted to scroll down a blogger's webpage all the way back to their first post, so I put a "page down" command in the shortcut, then tell it to "page down" 100 times....but if I reach the blogger's first post around the 70th "page down" command and the webpage is no longer moving downward (or upward depending on how you look at it), then the shortcut would see that nothing is being accomplished after the 71st "page down" command in the shortcut and would then move on to the next step).

Thanks,

J
jman995x

Postby gb2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 am

the only possible way would be to play around with using an AppleScript step. You would have to write something in AppleScript to find the folder that you created and keep track of the size in a QuicKeys variable and loop checking if the previous stored value hadn't changed.

On your new question there might be someway to write an AppleScript to check the position of the scrollbar.

Both AppleScript solutions if you knew AppleScript you might be able to come up with something or you could try asking for help at MacScripter for the actual AppleScript code to put into a QuicKeys AppleScript step.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby jman995x » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 am

Okay, great. Thanks.

I think the issue at hand is that Finder gets bogged down/hangs and that screws up QK.
jman995x

Return to QKM How Tos