How to Save current cursor position so it can be used again?

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

How to Save current cursor position so it can be used again?

Postby RBHarlow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I have a dialogue in FileMaker of Field Names that I am re-naming one at a time. My shortcut from a selected Field Name (Tab -> Left Arrow -> Command V > "Save" button) gets stuck in the "Save" section of the dialogue, and I want to return the cursor to where it was before in the list of fields above, so I can "Arrow Up" or "Arrow Down" one line and continue. If I were to click the mouse at that point I would be back where I want, but there is no keyboard command that will accomplish that for me in this context.

How do I do that? How do I store a cursor position and use it later in a shortcut?

Thanks in advance, I am a newbie to this.
RBHarlow

Re: How to Save current cursor position so it can be used again?

Postby gb2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 am

What version of QuicKeys, OS and FileMaker are you doing this in?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby RBHarlow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 am

QuicKeys 4.0.7, FileMaker 11.0.3, and OS X 10.8.3 The Dialogue box is labeled Manage Value Lists ( or Manage Database or Manage Scripts ) for... and the filename. It has two parts, an inner scrollable list section and the outer button section. My shortcut leaves me stuck in the outer section after renaming an item from the list section.
RBHarlow

Postby gb2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:02 am

I have a version 11.0v4 Advanced and see the Manage Value Lists dialog. The problem is I see no Save button, mine has an Edit button that will bring up another dialog to edit the information for item that was selected in the previous dialogs list. Maybe supply a screenshot of what you are seeing.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby RBHarlow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:36 am

Actually, the better example is the FileMaker -> Manage Database -> Fields -> Creation Order -> <click on the bottom item.

Then TAB - Left Arrow - Paste - Click button "Save" --- and here is where to return to the list, where you left off. Go up one line. Repeat shortcut. Stop after hitting the top.

(I tried to paste a screen shot, but I need to put the image on a url somewhere - See if this helps. Thanks for your generosity!

Bob
RBHarlow

Postby gb2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm still not seeing any "Save" button. Whenever there is a field to change the Field Name the button is labeled "Change".
gb2
Site Admin

Postby RBHarlow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 pm

RBHarlow

Postby gb2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 pm

I still see not "Save" button - you have the cursor over the "Change" button so I'm assuming you mean "Change" instead of "Save" like you have repeatedly stated. If you use a Type Keystroke of shift-tab it will go backwards from the Field Name back to the list.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby RBHarlow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Yes, it was "Change" =-- so sorry for the confusion. and the Shift-Tab works great! I didn't know that keystroke.

Now, how can I get it to loop until there are no more items at the top of the list?

Bob
RBHarlow

Postby gb2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:51 pm

there is no way for QuicKeys to get or know how many items are in a list. You would have to estimate or do a set number of iterations each time you triggered the shortcut.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby RBHarlow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I found the Begin Loop and End Loop QuicKeys steps, and noted that Begin can be set to ask for the number of repetitions, which I can see in the Manage Database Dialog. So I'm good for now! Thanks for your help!
RBHarlow

Return to QKM How Tos