pro tools: activate and/or click in a floating window

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

pro tools: activate and/or click in a floating window

Postby vinnytwice » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 am

Hi, I'm new to this, so I'm just asking if it's possible or not, well obviously someone has already done it, it would be fantastic!
My goal is to make shortcuts for the buttons on the ''automations'' windows... for buttons like ''preview', ''write to selected'' and so on...
I found an article on Sound on Sound where a shortcut was made to open the gain audio unit plug in and apply a 6db gain.
Reading on in the article it was specified that using the recording way to make shortcuts he could make a patch for selecting a patch window and preset... etc etc...

The main goal to this is to not have to click the buttons and have the automation window always on screen... like having dedicated buttons on the control surface...
so maybe the macro would be... 1 open the window(command + 4) , 2 click the corresponding button, 3 close the window.
because the window is floating I saw this to be a problem in other posts here in the forum.
anyone had a solution on it?
many thanx to everyone
vinnytwice

Re: pro tools: activate and/or click in a floating window

Postby gb2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm

that article looks like it was using QuicKeys X3, there have been many changes since then. If you don't own QuicKeys 4 I would suggest you download the trial and see if you can get it to work. The worse case would be that you would have to make sure that the window never moved and setting up Clicks relative to the screen instead of the window.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: pro tools: activate and/or click in a floating window

Postby ClacketyClicks » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Yes you can do this in pro tools. I use it every day.

You need to make two shortcuts. The first one activates the Automation window, but is not connected to a keystroke - it's called by the next shortcut.
The second shortcut calls the first, then toggles the "Preview" button. You can create more shortcuts which click or toggle other buttons, but this will illustrate how it's done.

Shortcut 1 : "Select Automation Window" (No Hot Key - Use "QuicKeys Menu")

Step 1: Menu Selection
Menu: Window
Menu Item: Automation
In Application: Pro Tools
Select if item is: Unchecked

Step 2: User Actions / Clicks / Click
Click Location:
Horizontal: 85 Vertical: 85
Release Location:85 Vertical: 85
Click relative to: Window

Window Details
In application: Pro Tools
Window Type: Any Window
Identify by Name Is (leave blank)
Click location relative to top left corner of the window.
Save this shortcut before continuing.

Shortcut 2 : "Preview Toggle" (Hotkey- I use "Ctrl Shift F15")

Step 1: QuicKeys / Instant Shortcut
Shortcut: Select Automation Window (You'll have to drag that shortcut from the QuicKeys Editor window into this entry)
Repeat: 1 times

Step 2: User Actions / Clicks / Click
Click Location: Horizontal: 39 Vertical:306
Release Location: Horizontal: 39 Vertical: 306
Click relative to: Window

Window details:
In application: Pro Tools
Window Type: Palette
Identify by Name Is (leave blank)
Click location relative to top left corner of the window.

For other actions in the Automation window, find the location of the desired buttons, and create a new shortcut for each .

I use:
Toggle Preview (opens Preview window if closed, toggles the Preview Button) - Control-Shift-F15
Punch Write Preview (Punches Preview and Punches Write to Selected). Control-Shift-Command-F15

Good luck
ClacketyClicks

Return to QKM How Tos