fake “single app mode"

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

fake “single app mode"

Postby bongo_x » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 am

I have to have some form of single app mode to work, but the built in method and all the switchers are never quite right. Spirited Away is the closest. It occurred to me that I should be able to do this with just QuicKeys.

What I want is for every time I switch to an app all other apps are hidden. That’s it.

Thanks
bongo_x

Re: fake “single app mode"

Postby gb2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am

the Switch Applications shortcut step has an option of "Hide other applications". So you would have to create a shortcut for each application that you wanted to run and when you hit the hot key for that application it would switch and hide the others. This wouldn't do anything for you if you changed to another application by selecting it in the Dock. Or you could do something with a Repeating trigger that goes off every so often that does a Type Keystroke of command-option-H. You might look into just using Control Center/Spaces and assigning each application to a different Space.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby bongo_x » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm

I somehow had never noticed the "hide other apps" command in QK. I’m trying that to trigger when I switch to the Finder, and keeping single app mode on. This may work like I need for now.

I was do this same thing for years, but with a command sent to the Finder from QK. Somehow that caused a lot of flashing and trouble with dialog boxes and such that this doesn’t.

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess what I need is a trigger that works when switching applications, not to any specific app.
bongo_x

Postby gb2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:07 pm

after thinking about it some more I came up with this. You could create one shortcut that does the Type Keystroke of command-option-H. Then give it a scope of All Applications and a trigger of App Event set to an Application and Event Becomes Front and a couple of seconds. Then you would copy and paste that scope and change the Application to other applications that you frequently use.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos