Using the "Go to URL" Step

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Using the "Go to URL" Step

Postby rbarline » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:23 pm

I use QK 4.0.7 on a Mac running 10.9.5 and many of my shortcuts are designed to log into accounts. These shortcuts used to work fine until Apple upgraded Safari (I'm using the current version 7.1.3). The problem is that there is no "Wait" checkbox in the "Go to URL" step, so the shortcut continues to the next step before the page loads all the way. Obviously the shortcut can't work properly unless the web page has loaded before I tab to the UID input field and PW fields for inserting my UID and PW. The work-around I have been using is to add a "Pause for 3 seconds" (or more depending on the web page) step just after the "Go to URL" step. This works but is rather inelegant. I saw another workaround given here Waiting for web page to load but it's rather complicated and messy (also browser dependent). My question is: Why can't QK just put back the "Wait for page to load completely" step that it used to offer? Or, is there a better work-around than the Pause step I am using? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
rbarline

Re: Using the "Go to URL" Step

Postby rbarline » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:46 pm

OK, after I posted this I did more research and I think I've partially answered my own question. There is no "Go to URL" step, that was just how I named the step, which was actually just a text step. There is an "Open web address" step, and there is also something called Input Manager for Safari that provides additional add-ons to Safari that allows QK to better control what happens. BUT .... my shortcut still doesn't work and maybe someone can help me figure out why. The shortcut looks like this:
1. Switch to Safari
2. Type Keystroke "⌘ T"
3. Open web address https://my.ooma.com/home/login (Inside the Open web address window I have checked the "Wait" box.)
4. Type Keystroke "tab"
5. Type UID
6. Type Keystroke "tab"
7. Password Vault
8. Type Keystroke "return"

But what happens is that the shortcut finishes without ever carrying out steps 4 - 8. Any ideas?
rbarline

Re: Using the "Go to URL" Step

Postby gb2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 pm

as noted in this post: "Open URLs"... can't tick "Wait" box the problem is in the bug database. I would uncheck the Wait checkbox and then use the Handy AppleScript for waiting for Safari to load pages in that same post. Go to that post and copy the AppleScript into an AppleScript step after the Web Launcher step. Your current steps 4-8 could not be skipped unless you changed something in the Step Results settings on the Web Launcher step 3 to jump over them or you are probably getting an error message that step 3 is failing and when you press OK on that the shortcut stops.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos