Pro Tools and QuicKeys - a general question

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Pro Tools and QuicKeys - a general question

Postby johannes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:56 am

Hello,

I am new to QuicKeys and trying to understand what is possible using it in Pro Tools 10 hd.
I wonder if there is a way to get Pro Tools internal information. (specially for clipboard macros that depend on the number of clips that you like to run your macro on)

for example:
is the cursor placed within a clip or not?
how many clips are selected by the current edit-selection…
what is the name of the currently selected track?
etc.

thanks for any hints, recommendations etc…
johannes
johannes

Re: Pro Tools and QuicKeys - a general question

Postby gb2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 am

the only way to get anything like that from any program would be if that program supports AppleScript and has those commands in its AppleScript Dictionary. You could then use a QuicKeys AppleScript step to issue that command and return its value to QuicKeys via a QuicKeys Variable. You would probably need to first go to Pro Tools forums and find out about AppleScript support for Pro Tools.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Pro Tools and QuicKeys - a general question

Postby troy4444 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 am

Hi, I used to be an 'expert' on Pro-Tools and QuicKeys. (forgive my lack of humility.) But I have been told so... :D :D
I have since left the industry but would be more than glad to help you get started.
There is absolutely a way to run the macro x amount of times that does not have to depend upon AppleScript.
You have to think 'outside the box' to do some of this stuff but believe me you can kick some ass if you spend the time to program the keys right.
You could find out how many clips are within the current selection. ( a bit of work, but it totally can be done )
Not sure about getting the name of the current track, but may be possible...
I'll provide a private 'junk' email that you can email me at and we can chat outside of this board.
protoolsqkhelp gmail

Troy
troy4444

Return to QKM How Tos