Copy settings to new computer

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Copy settings to new computer

Postby jpalme » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 am

I have been forced to completely erase my hard disk and return only files which I know are secure, and then installing a new version of Mac OS X, upgrading from Mac OS X 10.6 to Mac OS X 10.11. This is similar to if I had bought a new computer, even though I have not done this.

Now I need to know which files I have to copy from the backup to my ordinary computer to get QuicKeys to work, including all shortcuts I had on the previous computer. My question is: Which files should I copy? I am aware that this means I have to copy some invisible files, files with file names beginning with "." or in the Library folder and its subfolders.

I have copied the following files, but that was apparently not enough:

/root/Library/preferences/com.cesoft.quickeys.plist
/root/Library/preferences/com.cesoft.quickeysbackgroundengine
/users/me/Library/preferences/com.quickeys.quickeys.plist
/users/me/Library/QuicKeys - a whole folder
/users/me/Library/QuicKeys
/users/me/Library/InputManagers/QuicKeysIM
/Applications/QuicKeys User Guide & Extras
/Applications/QuicKeys
/Applications/QuicKeys documents

Is this enough. I have a number of other old files on my backup, containing the word QuicKeys, but they seem to be very old and perhaps only related to Mac OS 9.

After copying all the files above, I restarted my computer. I cannot report the result of this restart, since I must finish this message before restarting. I will report the result I get after restarting in a comment to the current message.

/root/Apple/
jpalme

Re: Copy settings to new computer

Postby gb2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 am

the only thing you should copy over is the folder at /users/me/Library/QuicKeys that contains all of your shortcuts and other things you have setup within QuicKeys and download a fresh copy of the application the Downloads page at startly.com. Other files are either from really old versions of QuicKeys or folders that you created. The preference file /users/me/Library/preferences/com.quickeys.quickeys.plist is best NOT copied over so that it can be cleansed of any settings from older versions of QuicKeys.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos