Dynamically disable/enable shortcuts

Dynamically disable/enable shortcuts

Postby dcblack » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 am

I would like to be able to have sets of shortcuts that are enabled dynamically by name. You would add an action called "Enable/Disable Scope", which had an enable checkbox and a field to fill in specifying a user-defined scope or perhaps just a wild-card on short-cut names. It would be useful to specify a number that limited the number of key events before automatically disabling - zero would mean never.

This would allow me to have a prefix key to enable some shortcuts for the next keystroke(s) or perhaps enter a sort of "user-defined mode" where keys had different meanings for a short period.

Why is this useful? Some apps seem to use all the key mappings, but I still want some automation. Using this mechanism, I can have one key temporarily allow me to use any key of my choosing and then revert back to application defined uses of the keys.

EXAMPLE 1: I am in a graphics program that uses tons of key mappings including say CMD-1, CMD-2, CMD-3... and all variants with SHIFT, CTRL, and OPT. I determine that the CTRL-ESC is not used so I map it to enable my shortcuts named MY-action1, MY-action2, etc (which trigger on CMD-1, CMD-2...) and I set the key count to 1 (so that this mode is temporary).

EXAMPLE 2: I have a special word processing program that uses tons of key mappings, but for some reason left out a few things I use a lot. So I map CMD-OPT-J to enable my mappings for a while and then turn them off when I press CMD-OPT-K.
dcblack

Re: Dynamically disable/enable shortcuts

Postby gb2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 pm

look at Subscopes in the manual on page 89
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Dynamically disable/enable shortcuts

Postby dcblack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Too cool! I should have known it was already there. Thank you. :D
dcblack

Return to QKM Feature Requests