Add "Begins with..." to New Scope menus

Add "Begins with..." to New Scope menus

Postby Syncopator » Fri May 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I'd like to be able to reassign a scope using "Begins with...," rather than being forced to specify the exact application name. This would help tremendously with apps whose developers put version numbers in the actual name of the app.

Say the app's official name is "SuperApp 3.1," and say I have dozens of QK shortcuts assigned to that scope. The problem is that when I download "SuperApp 3.2," none of my shortcuts will work until I reassign the scope to "SuperApp 3.2."

Now consider that while beta-testing apps for a developer, I get several new versions of some apps weekly. So I'm constantly having to reassign scopes, over and over again.

If we could assign a scope using "Begins with..." and then specify "SuperApp," the shortcuts would always work, as new versions of the app are installed. This would benefit all users who work with apps of this type (not just beta-testers).

Thanks.
Syncopator

Postby Eric » Sat May 24, 2008 10:19 am

We have heard this from several users and it is a very interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback.

--Eric
Eric

Postby Syncopator » Sat May 24, 2008 10:45 am

Great. Thanks for acknowledging the suggestion.

-M
Syncopator

Re:

Postby Syncopator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Eric wrote:We have heard this from several users and it is a very interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback.

--Eric

I'm pinging this request I made, over a year ago. :-) I'm sorry to see this wasn't implemented in QuicKeys 4. I'm heavily beta-testing and am in "scope hell." :shock:

please, please reconsider this feature.

thanks.
Syncopator

Re: Add "Begins with..." to New Scope menus

Postby Syncopator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I intended to add that this issue is now compounded, because of the "excluded applications" feature -- a feature I've wanted for a long time and for which I'm deeply grateful!

but when I exclude "whizbangapp 1.02" from a dozen shortcuts, and the next day I have to install "whizbangapp 1.03," and the following day I have to install "whizbangapp 1.04" (and so forth), I'm continually faced with having to re-add dozens of exclusions on an almost daily basis. :shock:

if exclusions could be made for apps that "start with 'whizbangapp," I could make the exclusions once and be done with them.

thanks.
Syncopator

Postby gb2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

thanks for the feedback - I've entered it onto your previous feature request.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Syncopator » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:47 pm

gb2 wrote:thanks for the feedback - I've entered it onto your previous feature request.

thanks!
Syncopator

Return to QKM Feature Requests