Pause vs Wait

Pause vs Wait

Postby southl » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:29 am

Not too keen on either of these functions.

Wait has specific options only.
I would like Wait for User to be more open to user input. As in I want to decide what the User will do - not QuicKeys decide what the User will do.

Pause relies on time only.
I would like Pause to operate like a pause button on a CD or DVD or VCR.
eg. Pause, then only when I want to continue the steps, Unpause (or Play)
southl

Postby gb2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:25 pm

What type of things would you like to be able to have the user do to continue the shortcut?

The pause button functionality you are looking for is located on the Playback palette. Where you can click pause to pause the shortcut and click again to unpause.
gb2
Site Admin

On this subject

Postby jimphot0 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:25 am

I would like to see "wait" have instead of "wait for keystroke", "wait for specific keystroke"
Thanks
jimphot0

Postby southl » Sun May 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Sorry it took so long to respond to this. Been swamped at work, then vacation, etc.

What type of things would you like to be able to have the user do to continue the shortcut?

In the older version of QuicKeys, you could assign a QuicKey in a sequence that would pause the sequence, then when you wanted to continue the shortcut, press a QuicKey and the shortcut would resume. In a long sequence this can be a blessing. As an example, pressing F14 could start the sequence, and in the sequence itself there's a pause set up at the right place. The user may type a little, use the mouse a little, then when ready, resumes the sequence by pressing the F15 key which is a QuicKey set up to Unpause the sequence.
Currently Pause pauses for so many seconds. If I take too long, the Pause will shut itself off and continue the sequence even if I'm not ready. If I'm finished early, I have to wait and look at my screen until the Pause shuts itself off and resumes the sequence.

I would like to see "wait" have instead of "wait for keystroke", "wait for specific keystroke"

This is a good suggestion. Right now if I use "Wait for keystroke", any key on the keyboard will resume the shortcut. I'm not at work right now so I can't see this one but is it "Wait for Mouse Click" or something like that - means that the second I use my mouse, the sequence will resume.

The pause button functionality you are looking for is located on the Playback palette. Where you can click pause to pause the shortcut and click again to unpause.

This is definitely no good to me. I usually don't have the Playback palette up. And besides that,
1- I would have to click on the pause button then click again to unpause - isn't that contrary to what I want to do? I want to use QuicKeys, not use my mouse to manually do something.
2 - With a long sequence with complicated steps, and a system that's quite fast, I want to pause it in just the right place. How am I going to do that?

Just would like to see better functionality to this feature.[/quote]
southl

Postby gb2 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 am

there is actually a shortcut to do this under Create>QuicKeys>QuicKeys Action - Pause Playback and Continue Playback. The bad thing is that it can pause the playback but it looks like the Continue isn't working anymore so you shouldn't try to use it.

entered - ID 3768
gb2
Site Admin

Postby llee » Tue May 30, 2006 5:01 pm

gb2 wrote:there is actually a shortcut to do this under Create>QuicKeys>QuicKeys Action - Pause Playback and Continue Playback. The bad thing is that it can pause the playback but it looks like the Continue isn't working anymore so you shouldn't try to use it.

That's been broken for quite some time, I think.

This may provide a clumsy workaround. If you insert something like this as an AppleScript step, it may give you access to do something before continuing with the shortcut and you can control to a certain degree the trigger that will allow the shortcut to continue (in this case, it's bringing QuicKeys to the front and holding down the option key), but it won't be pretty. I don't think it will work except in 10.4, but I haven't tested.

(Edit 1) I forgot to check where the command came from (scripting additions), and it turns out it need's Jon's Commands X. So it will probably work on earlier systems.(/Edit 1)

Code: Select all
repeat
   display dialog "Your QK shortcut is waiting for you to hold down the option key with this window active." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 giving up after 1   
   if (keys pressed) contains "Option" then
      exit repeat
   end if
end repeat
llee

Postby gb2 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:10 am

there is actually a shortcut to do this under Create>QuicKeys>QuicKeys Action - Pause Playback and Continue Playback. The bad thing is that it can pause the playback but it looks like the Continue isn't working anymore so you shouldn't try to use it.

entered - ID 3768

This is fixed in QuicKeys X 3.2 that was released on Oct 17 2007.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM Feature Requests