Exclude from "All Applications"

Exclude from "All Applications"

Postby Syncopator » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 am

I've been requesting this feature literally for 10+ years:

Often, I need a shortcut's scope to be "All Applications" with the exception of one or two apps. For example, tonight I created one, giving it the trigger Control-E. This will work in every app I use, with the exception of one app that uses Control-E to trigger one of its menu commands. So, I'd like to tell QK to perform this shortcut in all apps *except* that one app. But to my knowledge, there (still) is no way to do so.

The present solution? Add dozens and dozens of apps as scopes -- one at a time -- omitting, of course, the one app in which that trigger presents a conflict. Even if I limit this exercise to my frequently-used apps only, we're still talking 40 or 50 scopes. It would be infinitely more practical to be able to simply select "All Applications," then select "Excluding..." and select the one app. Two steps instead of 40 or 50.

Please??

(I'm using QK 4.0.2 and still feeling my way around. So, if I've overlooked this feature somewhere, please inform me. I'd be eternally grateful.)
Syncopator

Re: Exclude from "All Applications"

Postby Mike Evangelist » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:57 am

This is easy. Just make a shortcut which does nothing and assign it the same key command, then scope it to the app you want to exclude.
Mike Evangelist

Postby Syncopator » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:39 am

wow. great tip! thanks!!!
Syncopator

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 am

QuicKeys 4 has this feature built in. Open the shortcut and select the Scope then go to the Shortcuts menu and select Add Scope Exception...
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Syncopator » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 am

Thank you!!!
Syncopator

Postby Mike Evangelist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 am

Cool. Great for this old dog to learn new tricks!
Mike Evangelist

Postby Luc Bressinck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am

Exclude from all applications

-I can't add an exception to a toolbar. Is there a way to do that?
Luc Bressinck

Postby gb2 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:00 am

Luc Bressinck

no you can't - I've added it to our feature request database.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Luc Bressinck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

I have discovered that there exist the menu Window/Excluded applications
There you can select applications which are not included in "All Applications" but it does not work for Toolbars!
Is this a bug?
Luc Bressinck

Postby gb2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:15 am

gb2

Luc Bressinck

no you can't - I've added it to our feature request database.

no it isn't a bug. You must have missed my previous post where I said Toolbars don't support that feature and I have added it to our feature request database.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Syncopator » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 pm

gb2 wrote:QuicKeys 4 has this feature built in. Open the shortcut and select the Scope then go to the Shortcuts menu and select Add Scope Exception...

unfortunately, the caveat i've been posting about for years has bit me here, as well:

the fact that we can't choose applications (scopes) with the attribute "starts with." as a beta-tester for software companies, i get new versions of applications almost daily. but they are always named "FancyApp 6.123b1," "FancyApp 6.123b2" and so forth. so, when using the exclusions feature (as well as everywhere else in qk), QK binds itself to that one version of the app only -- which renders the exclusion (or any scope) unusable, since the apps' names change so frequently.

if only we could have a "starts with" attribute, i could set a scope (or an exclusion" as "Starts with 'FancyApp'" -- just once, and i'd be done with it forever. but alas, it remains unavailable.

previous thread: Add "Begins with..." to New Scope menus
Syncopator

Postby gb2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

take the program you get from them and create a folder with the version number in the name and then rename the application so that it is just FancyApp or FancyApp Beta if you want to have a different set of shortcuts for the released and beta version and then you won't have the problem.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM Feature Requests