Intel 64-bit (x86_64) support

Intel 64-bit (x86_64) support

Postby macko » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 pm

QuicKeys is one of the few things on my system still running 32-bit.

It would be nice if QuicKeys was built for x86_64... not because QuicKeys would
benefit from running 64-bit, but because my system would benefit from not having
to also have all the 32-bit shared libraries/frameworks loaded just because QuicKeys is
running 32-bit. If QuicKeys were 64-bit, it would be using the same shared libraries
as everything else on the system.

Add an x86_64 slice to the universal binary and I'll upgrade immediately!

Thanks
macko

Re: Intel 64-bit (x86_64) support

Postby jim » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:37 pm

macko wrote:QuicKeys is one of the few things on my system still running 32-bit.

It would be nice if QuicKeys was built for x86_64... not because QuicKeys would
benefit from running 64-bit, but because my system would benefit from not having
to also have all the 32-bit shared libraries/frameworks loaded just because QuicKeys is
running 32-bit. If QuicKeys were 64-bit, it would be using the same shared libraries
as everything else on the system.

Add an x86_64 slice to the universal binary and I'll upgrade immediately!

Thanks

This is an excellent suggestion, macko. Thanks for the feedback.

We have always planned on QuicKeys to go 64-bit eventually, when it was appropriate. The changes required in some areas to become 64-bit clean are significant and non-trivial so we're not quite ready yet. We'll be sure to let everyone know once we are, though.

But, as I'm sure you're aware, having QuicKeys be 64-bit right now, today, it would be highly unlikely to benefit the system in the way that you are describing.

It's true that the first 64-bit or 32-bit application to load in Mac OS X will force the OS to load the respective libraries and frameworks. But even if you make 100% sure you're only running 64-bit clean versions of third party applications, there are still a pletora of system utilities and daemons running in the background that are 32-bit only and will load all those libraries and frameworks anyway. For example, 'blued' the bluetooth daemon, is a 32-bit application (with no 64-bit alternative) that loads Foundation, CoreFoundation, ApplicationServices frameworks, as well as others... all the same frameworks QuicKeys uses.

The average Leopard user realistically isn't going to be able to have a 64-bit clean environment at this time, so the penalty one sees from having both 32 and 64-bit frameworks loaded, while quite real, isn't really significant as it's a "penalty" that's there when you boot the computer. Now if you happen to be running Snow Leopard, that's an entirely different situation... and one we can't talk about any further for obvious reasons. :wink:
jim
Site Admin

Postby macko » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:00 pm

I won't discuss any non-public information about unreleased products, but I
can point you at this publicly available info:

Apple 64-bit

So, I imagine that within a month or so a lot of MacOSX users will have
systems that are almost entirely running 64-bit.
macko

Postby gb2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:26 pm

It will eventually be 64-bit but we have no immediate plans. We'll be sure to let everyone know once we are, though. There is no need for QuicKeys to need that much memory space and Mac OS X is not impacted by running 32-bit applications even if the OS is running 64-bit.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby ceicnof » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Just another user here hoping for a 64 bit QuicKeys. It's one of my most important apps. Only a few apps on my machine are still running as 32 bit, and QuicKeys is one of them. :( I look forward to the 64 bit update. QuicKeys is awesome! :D
ceicnof

Return to QKM Feature Requests