Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Postby Ward » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 am

Over the many years I've been using QuicKeys, I've accumulated many hundreds of shortcuts. I'm doing a Fall housecleaning to get rid of obsolete shortcuts. Most of the time it's easy to determine that a shortcut can be deleted.

I just encountered a puzzling shortcut in the All Applications list. It has an unhelpful name and no trigger. So I must have created it for use in another shortcut. But there appears to be no way to determine if a specific shortcut is referenced in an Insert Shortcut step in another shortcut.

Delete shortcut could help by warning about specific references, but all it has is a generic warning:

Deleting the shortcut will also remove it from all other scripts, toolbars, and abbreviations.

I'm spoiled by FileMaker Pro. When I delete a database field, it checks for references and identifies by name any script or other field that will be broken if the selected field is deleted. I wish QuicKeys would do the same.

-- Ward
Last edited by Ward on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ward

Re: Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Postby gb2 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 am

thanks for the feedback.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Ward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

I've modified the subject of this thread to add another aspect of what I'll call a "Subordinate Shortcut" -- a shortcut that's referenced by a Play Shortcut step in a "Parent Shortcut."

My initial post focused on deleting a Subordinate Shortcut -- show the names of any Parent Shortcuts.

My new concern is understanding the impact of modifying a Subordinate Shortcut -- will the change be compatible with all Parent Shortcuts?

For example:
  1. Select a shortcut in the QuicKeys Editor.
  2. Choose File > Show "Play Shortcut" References.
-- Ward
Ward

Postby gb2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 am

updated database with your changes.
gb2
Site Admin
&n