Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Postby Ward » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 am

Over the many years I've been using QuicKeys, I've accumulated many hundreds of shortcuts. I'm doing a Fall housecleaning to get rid of obsolete shortcuts. Most of the time it's easy to determine that a shortcut can be deleted.

I just encountered a puzzling shortcut in the All Applications list. It has an unhelpful name and no trigger. So I must have created it for use in another shortcut. But there appears to be no way to determine if a specific shortcut is referenced in an Insert Shortcut step in another shortcut.

Delete shortcut could help by warning about specific references, but all it has is a generic warning:

Deleting the shortcut will also remove it from all other scripts, toolbars, and abbreviations.

I'm spoiled by FileMaker Pro. When I delete a database field, it checks for references and identifies by name any script or other field that will be broken if the selected field is deleted. I wish QuicKeys would do the same.

-- Ward
Last edited by Ward on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ward

Re: Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shortcut

Postby gb2 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 am

thanks for the feedback.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Ward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

I've modified the subject of this thread to add another aspect of what I'll call a "Subordinate Shortcut" -- a shortcut that's referenced by a Play Shortcut step in a "Parent Shortcut."

My initial post focused on deleting a Subordinate Shortcut -- show the names of any Parent Shortcuts.

My new concern is understanding the impact of modifying a Subordinate Shortcut -- will the change be compatible with all Parent Shortcuts?

For example:
  1. Select a shortcut in the QuicKeys Editor.
  2. Choose File > Show "Play Shortcut" References.
-- Ward
Ward

Postby gb2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 am

updated database with your changes.
gb2
Site Admin

Update: Determine the impact of deleting or modifying a shor

Postby Ward » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 am

Modify a subordinate shortcut name:

I've verified in QuicKeys 4.0.7 that when I rename a subordinate shortcut, Play Shortcut references are updated with the new name.

Delete a subordinate shortcut:

I've also verified that my initial concern/request from two years ago is still relevant. When I deleted a subordinate shortcut, QuicKeys did not warn me that I'd break Play Shortcut references. It simply leaves the parent's Play Shortcut step with the subordinate name but no shortcut icon. When invoke the parent shortcut, it stops at the broken Play Shortcut step with a message identifying the now-missing shortcut.

I hope this usability "gotcha" can be fixed.

-- Ward
Ward

Return to QKM Feature Requests