Up to pause

Up to pause

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

I've been exploring the use of QK with a web application (I think QK could find a major market there is it was not as hard as it is now). At several points, I found it necessary to build in a pause. If the server is busy, that pause may be too short. Of course I can make it longer, but then I've to wait longer every time.

Firstly, I propose an "up to" time limit tick. QK will try to perform the next action, but if it fails wait a second and then try again. Either until the allotted time is up or the action works.

Secondly, and even better, I think QK would be less frustrating for newbies exploring this area if QK always were willing to wait a certain amount of time. If QK encounters a problem, it will wait for up to 10 seconds. If it can continue and encounters another problem, again wait up to 10 seconds. As soon as it runs into the problem, QK could throw up a message window like it does now (currently it is only reporting complete failure, complaining that it can't find the button or what because the Print window hasn't prepared yet by the program such as Safari), and show its progress. E.g.
Can't find button Print for 1 sec
Can't find button Print for 2 sec
etc.
and continue once the button has appeared. The View button could still be on the message window if the user wants to interrupt. Call it "verbose mode" and make it default for those who run the program for the first time on that computer.

The above reporting message window could be combined with Jays idea in the Enable/Disable Step Functionality threat with a button on the message window to continue manually.

Bert
bert

Re: Up to pause

Postby gb2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:00 pm

thanks for the feedback - I've entered it into our database.

If you are referring to the actual Print window in Safari then you should use a Wait for Window step.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Up to pause

Postby bert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I ran into the problem even though I had read the Save webpage as PDF thread beforehand and when I ran into the problem remembered the position solution there, which didn't work for me.

Your remark that it would work with the name was correct, but it took both Bakari and me a long time, and neither of us came up with the preferred Wait for Window step. In his case it was a work-around with position, and in my case I used a 5 second regular pause.

With my second suggestion, we wouldn't have lost so much time on it (plus it is more generic, also for other timing problems). Many people would have given up, I guess. And that is the point of my suggestion: If implemented, a newbie is less likely to run into timing problems. It would make it easier and quicker to put QK to good use. More sales for you guys. More productivity for us.

Bert
bert

Return to QKM Feature Requests