Easy one: Delete key!

Easy one: Delete key!

Postby Jay Levitt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I know it's not the Mac standard, but it'd be nice if QuicKeys would support the forward-delete key wherever it supports the regular delete key - e.g. deleting steps in a shortcut. I tried adding a QK shortcut for QuicKeys, but I guess you can't do that...
Jay Levitt

Re: Easy one: Delete key!

Postby gb2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am

thanks for the feedback
gb2
Site Admin

Postby BonnieS » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 am

Has any progress been made on this issue? It's the main reason I need QK (I downloaded the free trial v.4.0.7). I have a MacBook laptop (Intel) running OSX 10.5.8 and I HATE that it has no forward-delete key, and requires you to use both hands to forward-delete. The Function key is diagonally opposite on the keyboard from the backward-delete key - as far apart as they can physically be, and wider than a human hand span. It would be OK if I could do this easily with two fingers (provided the required keys are adjacent or near each other). As a design fault it's beyond stupid. What I need to make QK do is:

Get a forward-delete by pressing the backward-delete key on my MacBook while simultaneously pressing a nearby assigned hot key, either F12, the =/+ key, or the ]/} key. These are the closest keys to the backward-delete in the upper right-hand corner, and would make it easy to use two fingers.

I've spent a lot of time in the QK manual and can't really work out how to make it do this, and I now gather from the other post in this thread that I may not be able to (if I'm reading his message correctly). But that was months ago - what is the current situation? Please please tell me I can do this, and then tell me HOW, step by step!

I can't imagine I'm the only person to be annoyed by the bad design of the Mac laptop's forward-delete command. I do a lot of music inputting with a midi keyboard, so it always means I need a 3rd hand, and this problem is important enough to me that it's putting me off the Mac altogether. Can anyone help? I would be SO grateful -
BonnieS

Postby gb2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 am

the original post has nothing to do with what you are wanting - it is talking about adding support for the forward delete to allow deleting a step in a shortcut. What you want has always been in QuicKeys since day one over 20 years ago.

Create a new shortcut with a Type Keystroke step. Change the hot key to what you want to use to do the forward delete. Select the Type Keystroke field and type in your Fn-delete. Save and close the shortcut and give it a try.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby BonnieS » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Will do - thanks for such a fast response! :D
BonnieS

Return to QKM Feature Requests