Suggestions for shortcut debugging

Suggestions for shortcut debugging

Postby Syncopator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:30 pm

[NOTE: moderators, it would be so very helpful if you'd enable attachments in the forum. That way we could more easily post relevant screenshots to illustrate our points.]

1. please give us an indicator for shortcut debugging. presently there's no way to know it's on without digging into a menu. this is very unfriendly; it's too easy to forget it's enabled, since there's absolutely no convenient indicator. perhaps the menu-extra and dock icons could sport a badge or something, as a reminder that it's on. previous versions of QK had a "beetle" button on the toolbar of the QK editor. when enabled, the beetle was orange; when disabled, it was gray. it's difficult to understand why that useful feature was removed.

2. these next observations are of lesser importance, but correcting them would enhance the user experience: when using debugging, QK will identify an element on the screen, and ask (for example), "Correct sheet for button?" then we're given 3 buttons from which to choose:

two things are odd about this:

(a) the buttons appear *above* the question they're intended to answer. but we read from the top, down, so this is an awkward arrangement. why not present the question first, then the possible answers, after the question? :-)

(b) adding to the cognitive dissonance is the fact that not one of the buttons actually answers the question! to the question "Correct sheet for button?," the answers should be either "yes" or "no." but the choices given are "Stop," "Stop & View Step," and "Continue." i don't have to debug often, but each time i do, when i get to this window, i have to stop and process the proper response, because the buttons are awkwardly labeled.

here's what i think we should see:

Correct sheet for button?
[No. Stop & VIew Step] [Yes. Continue] [Cancel]

wouldn't that be clearer? :-) thanks.
Syncopator

Re: Suggestions for shortcut debugging

Postby gb2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:04 pm

thanks - added to feature request database.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Syncopator » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 pm

more suggestions:

- can we please have a toggle for turning shortcut debugging on and off in the menubar menu? having to open the editor, just to get to that command is quite cumbersome.

- can we also have (a) a little sound play when issuing a command while SD is enabled? and (b) something visually more attention-grabbing? because I often forget that it's enabled (distracted by phone or whatever). then I come back and wonder why my everyday shortcuts aren't working. I have two, 30-inch displays, and the little black, translucent window simply gets lost among other windows. perhaps adding an option to change the color of that window would help.
Syncopator

Postby gb2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 am

added your additional features to our database
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM Feature Requests