Control "advanced features" with more granularity

Postby Ward » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm

[ Original Subject: Toggle Step Results per shortcut (or even per step) ]

One of the first things I noticed about QuicKeys 3.2 was the very nicely compacted lists of shortcuts and the sequences of steps in individual shortcuts. This is a big usability improvement, not just a cosmetic touch.

Tonight, as I created a new shortcut sequence, I discovered one reason for compact list of shortcut steps -- the Step Results are no longer shown by default. Since my new shortcut needed to quit if a menu item does not exist, I soon found and enabled the (new?) "Show advanced shortcut features" preference.

The ability to hide the Step Results is a huge improvement for the great majority of my 200-300 shortcuts. Only a small percentage (probably no more than 5%) make use of custom Step Results.

Consequently, I'd like to be able to control the display of Step Results per shortcut. Even better, display only the customized Step Results. For example,

1. Toggle Step Results on while editing a specific shortcut sequence.
2. Customize some Step Results.
3. Toggle Step Results off after editing, with QuicKeys hiding all but the customize sequence flow.

The current all-or-nothing approach hides sequence flow. When Step Results are not shown, flow is explicitly hidden, and when Step Results are shown, the occasional customized result action is lost in the sea of standard next, next, next, ... steps.

P.S. Splitting the "Show advanced shortcut features" option into two independent options, Subscope and Step Results, would also be an improvement.
Last edited by Ward on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ward

Postby gb2 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:41 am

entered as feature request - ID 3853
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Ward » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 pm

I rediscovered the "Show advanced features" preference during my exploration of QuicKeys 4 new features. Before posting a request for more fine-grained control of advanced features, I searched this forum for "Show advanced features" and was surprised to discover I had opened this thread in October 2007.

I'm reviving this topic with specific suggestions for more granularity in the display of advanced options:

1. Preferences --> View menu

Move Preferences > General > Advanced > Show advanced features into two View menu options (for easy toggling):

View > Scope
View > Step Results

2. Shortcuts list

Show scope based on the state of View > Show > Scope. Always show SubScopes.

3. Shortcut editor

Show the scope menu in the Scopes & Triggers section based on the state of View > Scope. Always show SubScopes.

Show Step Results at the end of each step based on the state of View > Step Results. Always show non-default step results.

Commentary:

The Library lists in the QuicKeys Editor already show scope regardless of the state of "Show advanced features."

As a test of these suggestions, I'm going to ...

a. Disable "Show advanced features" except when I need access to the scope menu or step results in the Shortcut editor.

b. When a shortcut has a subscope, note this in the shortcut name.

c. When a shortcut step has non-default step results, note this in the step name/description.

(I already love the compact lists of Shortcuts in the QuicKeys Editor window.)

Startly, please add my additional comments to Feature Request ID 3853.

-- Ward
Ward

Re: Control "advanced features" with more granularity

Postby gb2 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 am

thanks for the additional feedback - it has been added to the previous report.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM Feature Requests