Microsoft Excel : "Cannot Empty the Clipboard"

Microsoft Excel : "Cannot Empty the Clipboard"

Postby Juanski » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:43 pm

All,
I have been using QuicKeys for several months now on my Laptop, running Windows XP-SP2. All of my routines worked great until I upgraded to a brand new laptop which is also running Windows XP - SP2.

What has been happening is that when I try and run a copy - paste routine with Excel, I get an error message that says "Cannot Empty the Clipboard". I did a google search for the error message and everything that I have found points to Windows Server 2003.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

- Juanski
Juanski

Postby gb2 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:53 pm

make sure you are using the latest version 3.0.3. There was a clipboard change for 3.0.1 that may have caused some strange copy and paste problems on certain machines.

QuicKeys for Windows Archives
gb2
Site Admin

Unable to Empty Clipboard - Update

Postby Juanski » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Here is a quick update to my problem:
Upgrading to QuicKeys v3.03 did not resolve the issue. I would run my copy and paste macro and it would get as far as copying the first item before displaying the error on the second copy request. After going to Microsoft Updates and installing all the available patches things have improved but not much.

Now I can get up to 24 items copied before the clipboard buffer fills up and gives me the error message. I have tried the following recommendations for Excel to disable the clipboard, one which is to select the option "Collect without Showing Office Clipboard" which does not work.
and to go into RegEdit and change the ADBC Control.

None of which totally resolves the "Unable to Empty Clipboard " problem completely.
Juanski

Postby gb2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:58 pm

what type of steps are in the sequence?
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Juanski » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:22 pm

This is a small snippet of the macro that I am running.

Window Selector [Microsoft Internet Explorer]
Wait for Window [Microsoft Internet Explorer]
Mouse Click [ 744, 292, 0, 0 ]
Type Keystroke [Enter]
Pause for 300 millisecond(s)
Window Selector [Microsoft Excel - LIST.xls]
Wait for Window ['Microsoft Excel - LIST.xls' Becomes active]
Type Keystroke [Ctrl + C]
Type Keystroke [Tab]
Window Selector [Microsoft Internet Explorer]
Wait for Window [Microsoft Internet Explorer]
Type Keystroke [Ctrl + V]
Type Keystroke [Tab]
Window Selector [Microsoft Excel - LIST.xls]
Wait for Window ['Microsoft Excel - LIST.xls' Becomes active]
Pause for 300 millisecond(s)
Type Keystroke [Ctrl + C]

Its just a simple cut and paste operation.
Juanski

Postby gb2 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:28 am

you might want to use Variables. You could do all the copying in Excel and then switch to Explorer and do all the pastes. It might save some time not having to switch back and forth between the programs so much and that switching sounded like it was the problem with Excel.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby gunns256 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:09 pm

You might have to turn off the Office multi-clipboard, one of my least favorite "features."

see: Turn off the Clipboard Toolbar in Office 2000 and Office XP
gunns256

Postby Juanski » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:46 pm

Gunns,
I was all set to sing your praises but then it started happening again after the 7th copy routine. At this point my "solution" is to use Quattro Pro instead of Excel which does not have this problem. I have never seen a more blatant bug out there that (Microsoft) is so unwilling to address.
[End Rant]

In any case.... someone mentioned the use of "QuicKeys Variables".
How would you use that to hold multiple lines of information?
For example, I have five cells in Excel that I am copying one at a time to enter that data into a web page for data entry.

How would you use the variable to copy and paste that much info?

- Juan
Juanski

Postby gb2 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:53 pm

there is a similar example in the manual on page 63. Setup several variables and then do a copy and assign the first variable then tab and copy and assign the second variable etc. Go to the place you want to paste and paste the first variable then tab and paste the next variable.
gb2
Site Admin

And the Fix was......

Postby Juanski » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:39 pm

I just wanted to give all of you an update on this issue because I have seen so many posts about this. Now I know that you guys are probably not going to believe me when I say this buy, Microsoft was actually helpful.
I am sure that a great many of you have found this knowledge base entry: Error message when you try to paste data into Excel 2003 during a Terminal Services session: "Cannot empty the clipboard" when researching this issue. If you actually click on the link that says "contact us" and fill out the info, you get a response and a download link with the files that you need to fix the problem. After rebooting from the install, I am cautiously optimistic. I have been running my copy paste routines all afternoon and I have not seen the dreaded "cannot empty clipboard" error message.

*********** Update **************
Ok, I knew there was a reason why I should have not said anything.
Today brought me back to my copy paste routine and It started happening again. It doesn't seem to happen as often as it did before, which is better than nothing I suppose. Out of 40 routines this AM the cannot empty clipboard has come up twice.

- Juanski
Juanski

Re: And the Fix was......

Postby harringg » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Juanski wrote: *********** Update **************
Ok, I knew there was a reason why I should have not said anything.
Today brought me back to my copy paste routine and It started happening again. It doesn't seem to happen as often as it did before, which is better than nothing I suppose. Out of 40 routines this AM the cannot empty clipboard has come up twice.

- Juanski

Juanski, I have been searching for a fix for this (didn't expect to find it here) :D and will try the link you posted. I normally have the issue when copy/pasting in Access 2003, but had a QK macro that copy and pasted between Excel and Word 2003 and it got stuck every 5th paste or so. I'll try the fix later this week.

Thanks again,
Grant
harringg

Re: Microsoft Excel : "Cannot Empty the Clipboard"

Postby DMS » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:47 pm

I had this problem as well. I searched the web for an answer and so far I found if you open the Clipbrd.exe it will fix the problem.

Click on Start
Click Run
type: Clipbrd.exe
and run. Leave this open while running your macro.
DMS

Postby sando.art » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:49 pm

I downloaded QKW demo copy last week.
Latest version, 3.0.3
Now I'm getting the "Cannot Empty the Clipboard" error in Excel 2003 SP3
Happens on any worksheet, just dragging and dropping cells into empty cells.
Never happened before
And I've only made a few basic QuicKey actions, only for another program.

After experimenting, the issue resolves itself if I kill this process:
QKEngine.exe
from the task manager.

I'm guessing Excel is very sensitive to clipboard mechanics that QKW is using.

Sad...was ready to purchase.
Any one have a permanent fix?
None of the post options above seem to fix it.
sando.art

Postby gb2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 am

if you have tried everything here then I don't know what else you can try. We have not been able to duplicate the problem here.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby VDO-Cutter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 am

I ran into this a couple months ago. I inserted the following steps after the COPY step:

1) "wait for popup window", allowing one second (plenty of time for the "Cannot Empty the Clipboard" message to appear on my screen), defining the window via the magnifying glass (the trick is remembering to grab it when it appears). Upon step success, go to next step. If it fails, skip next step.
2) MOUSE CLICKING the OK button - again defined via the magnifier, and set to go back to the COPY STEP, PASS or FAIL

There is a potential for an infinite loop here if the clipboard never clears, but I have never had to redo the copy more than 2 times manually, and I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see it run through these steps automatically 2, 3 even 4 times. I would have to have done it manually that many times!

This only adds one second to the running time, but makes up for it when it is needed. Just be sure to use a Mouse Click on the button and not a Keystroke Enter - this could throw other things off if the window doesn't appear.

-----------
Now that I'm looking this over, I suppose you could just put in a 1 sec. pause, then the MOUSE CLICK on the OK button (MUST BE DEFINED CAREFULLY - magnifier recommended), with a SUCCESS set to go back to the COPY step, and a FAIL set to the NEXT STEP.
VDO-Cutter

Postby DMG2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:04 pm

I have had this problem as well. A temporary fix for it that I found was to open CLIPBRD.EXE and have that open in the background.
to open this:
Start Menu
Run
type: Clipbrd.exe
run.

Hopefully this helps.
DMG2

Postby gb2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am

you could also use an Open action, browse to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CLIPBRD.EXE
gb2
Site Admin