Windows 7 Upgrade

Windows 7 Upgrade

Postby WIRND » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 am

I keep checking this forum for any glimmer of hope that Startly is going to update QuicKeys to work with Windows 7 and there's nothing.
We are getting close to updating our computers to Windows 7 and would REALLY like to continue working with this program. QuicKeys for Windows has helped our business function for many years, we would hate to lose the time-saving advantages it offers. Time is money and this is a big time-saver.
WIRND

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade

Postby billearl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 am

The current version of QuicKeys (3.0.3) seems to work reasonably well in Windows 7, with some exceptions such as inability to control Internet Explorer 8.
billearl

Postby jackinfl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:03 am

I am about to go to Windows 7. I see that some folks have used QK with 7 (I understand the IE 8 problems), how does it work in general?

Jack
jackinfl

Postby KDCinfo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm finding quite a few things that don't work with Windows 7. I can't get the Type Keystroke or Type Text to work at all. Also, focus keeps shifting when I perform hot keys for the actions. But even when I put the action on a toolbar it would just fail the action instead of typing the keystroke or text. Minimize active window also didn't seem to work... at least not from a hot key approach.

I realize QuicKeys has always been primarily Mac-based, but are there any plans for future development of QuicKeys for Windows? If not, I'd like to start looking for my alternative now.

I appreciate any insight you might provide.

Thanks.

Keith D Commiskey
KDCinfo

Postby gb2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I currently do not have an estimate on a release date for a new version of QuicKeys for Windows. You can keep an eye on our website for updates.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby WIRND » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 am

I had to purchase a new machine with Windows 7 (notebook running W7 home, 64 bit) and I've installed QK 3.0.3. I copied my Actions over from my XP machine and I have to say, overall, I'm very pleased with the way it's running. I've had a few minor issues (like the toolbar name doesn't show too well and the editor locks up once in a while when trying to save. However, the routines run very well. Unlike some other user comments, I've had no problems getting QK to type text. I'm mainly using this in some specialized simulation programs. No, I'm not running virtual XP - this is all Windows 7.
So, even though Startly isn't supporting this anymore, give it a try - you may be surprised!
WIRND

Postby WIRND » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Just wanted everyone to know that I'm still successfully using QuicKeys 3.0.3 on a Windows 7 machine. I use it every day and it's working fine. There were a few install issues (I think I had to turn off Windows Defender - control panel). I've copied all my actions over to C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Startly\QuicKeys\Actions. Note that you have to go to control panel and Folder Options and check view hidden files and folders to see the app data folders.
I had to re-direct some of the programs but that wasn't hard. I just edited one action, it created a new actions folder, then I dragged the remaining actions into that folder and it re-directed them all.
Some of my routines even work better than in Window XP. Some I've had to tweak to get them to work properly, still, no more bugs than usual it seems. That's just my experience and I thought I'd pass it on.
WIRND

Postby billearl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 am

WIRND wrote:Just wanted everyone to know that I'm still successfully using QuicKeys 3.0.3 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks. It seems to work fine for me too on Windows 7 (and Vista).
billearl

Postby gr3gw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 pm

I was using QuicKeys with Win 7 Home Premium very successfully but I've hit a major snag. Due to some crashes and self-imflicted damage I had to reinstall my OS. At this point I upgraded to Win7Pro and installed the version with the newly available Service Pack 1. I had to reinstall QuicKeys and copy across my actions from a backup and now QuicKeys will not work at all.

As far as I can tell the major changes are:

(a) Win7Pro instead of Win7 HomePremium
(b) Service Pack 1

I can edit actions but they will not work. It appears that they cannot find the application or window to work with. Error message is that action fails at the first step. This can be as simple as 'Type Shift/T'.

I've enabled QuicKeys in Windows Firewall and made QuicKey Engine run as Administrator.

Any suggestions. My gut feeling is I've overlooked something. Does anyone have QuicKeys working with WIn7Pro SP/1? If they do, that will eliminate the OS being the problem.

Thanks,
gr3gw

Postby billearl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Yes, QuicKeys works fine with Windows 7 Pro SP1 here. Maybe try reinstalling QuicKeys?
billearl

Postby gr3gw » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for that confirmation, BillEarl, I'll focus my effort on the QuicKeys installation. I've tried un-installing and reinstalling from a newly downloaded version of QK 3.0.3. It hasn't made any difference but I'll keep trying.

Would be good if GB2 could also confirm there are no problems with Win7Pro (SP/1). The problem has got me stumped. A QK macro fails trying to type an upper case 'T'. It's the first step of the macro.
gr3gw

Postby gb2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 am

that's one of the major problems we are having - it works on some machines and not others that appear to be identical.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby gr3gw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks GB2. I'll keep trying and let you know what I uncover, if anything. Do you want me to post snippets here or in another thread dedicated to exploring QuicKeys and Win7 SP/1? I assume it is all version of Win7 that have SP/1. My experience is with Win7Pro only. My previous experience was with Win7HomePrem without a service pack.

Observation (gr3gw/01):
A newly defined sequence macro that uses the Message command (from Sequence Tools) works when defined for the Universal scope, but not for individual programs such as Word.

With the message macro defined for both Universal and Word using the same keyboard shortcut key, in Word it is the Universal version that displays the message. This demonstrates that (a) QuicKeys is running, (b) it is unaware that the current window is owned by Word and that it should therefore invoke the Word version of the macro.

Hope this helps.
gr3gw

Postby gr3gw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Here's a second observation.

Observation gr3gw/02:
Create two macros to type single characters. One types 'X' and the other 'Y'. The scope of the X-macro is Word. The scope of the Y-macro is Universal. Give both macros the same keybaord shortcut eg Ctrl/Alt/8. In theory of I type Ctrl/Alt/8 on a Word window I should get an 'X', anywhere else I should get a 'Y'.

On a Word window I get an error message saying the macro has failed at Step 1 but it is not the Word macro, it is the Universal macro.

Conclusions:
1. QuicKeys fails to recognise that the current window belongs to Word.
2. QuicKeys is unable to send the 'Y' key to the Word window from the Universal macro.

Hope this helps.
gr3gw

Re: QuicKeys not working in Win7Pro SP/1 SOLVED

Postby gr3gw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 pm

I think I've uncovered the problem: User Account Control (UAC). Turn it it completely OFF (Control Panel> User Accounts> Change User Account Control Settings> Slider to Never Notify. Then reboot, welcome back QuicKeys.

I used to have UAC turned off before I moved to Win7Pro SP/1. As I was doing a completely fresh install I left UAC at it's default setting.

The description of Never Notify is "Choose this if you need to use programs that are not certified for Windows 7 because they do not support User Account Control (UAC)." Well, I guess QuicKeys must fit that description.

What a relief. Hope it works for the other customers who have had this problem.
gr3gw

Postby robodr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:19 pm

"What a relief"... What an understatement!! Hallelujah! A QuicKeys user since v1.0, I have been very discouraged with this Win7 impasse. Thank goodness for someone like you to come along and part the gray clouds! The sun is shining brightly now... Cheers and thanks again! :D
robodr

Postby joenose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:52 am

I was just about to throw away QuicKeys after I had to throw away my Windows XP laptop. A QuicKeys user since version 1.
Thanks, gr3gw, saved my day!
joenose

Re: QuicKeys not working in Win7Pro SP/1 SOLVED

Postby VDO-Cutter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:12 pm

gr3gw wrote:I think I've uncovered the problem: User Account Control (UAC). Turn it it completely OFF (Control Panel> User Accounts> Change User Account Control Settings> Slider to Never Notify. Then reboot, welcome back QuicKeys.

You are my hero.
VDO-Cutter

Postby zeromon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:22 pm

gr3gw, HERO indeed!
SUPER HERO!!!

It works! I do taxes for a living and I was stressing about QuicKeys not working on my new Win 7 machine. I had somehow managed (blundered, pure luck, trial and error) to get two other Win 7 computers to work with QuicKeys and could NOT FLIPPING FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK WAS THE PROBLEM with the new computer. Turned the UAC off and it WORKS PERFECTLY. OMG!, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Because of the repetitive nature of my work and keystroking, I use of QK almost every single time I touch the keyboard with virtually every program. I've been pleasantly surprised that OK worked so well on my other Win7 computers and now it's working on this one. YES!

THANK YOU. THANK YOU... gr3gw, can I buy you a cup of coffee? (By the way, I live in Portland, Oregon, in case you're close.)

I can't imagine a computer without it.
zeromon

Postby WIRND » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Ok, 5 years later... Still using QK with Windows 7. Key is to set the User Account Control settings to "Never Notify" and that's about it. I've gotten this to work on several machines without a hitch. I'm not sure what problems Startly has had with it. Now, how about Windows 8? Has anyone gotten this to work on Windows 8 at all?
WIRND

Postby pfterry » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:26 pm

I have been trying to get QuicKeys 3.03 installed on Windows 8.1 without any success. I've run the installer as admin, but can never get past Registering Components in the installer. I'm wondering if this is a 32-bit msi issue with my 64-bit Surface Pro. Sadly, I'm not even up to the point of using TweakUAC to allow QuicKeys to run.

ttfn,
pfterry
pfterry

Return to QKW General Discussion