Feasible in QuicKeys?

Feasible in QuicKeys?

Postby Compelled » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm curious if QuicKeys could be used to automate data entry. I work with thousands of notes/sentences in Excel files that need to be broken down and separated into different columns. Much of these notes require the same breakdown.

e.g.:

2010 Dodge Charger.

2010 needs to be cut and pasted into the 'Year' column.
Dodge needs to be cut and pasted into the 'Make' column.
Charger needs to be cut and pasted into the 'Model' column.

My thought is to do some sort of query, like an 'if-then' statement. If 'Dodge' is found in the 'Note' column, then cut and paste into the 'Make' column. I would do this for 'Ford', 'Honda', etc. and a bunch of other note components via QuicKeys.

Would this be feasible using QuicKeys and is there a limit to how many steps each action should have?
Compelled

Re: Feasible in QuicKeys?

Postby gb2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 am

I don't see anyway that you could fully automate this because there is no way to do the query you are talking about. You could select the 2010 and it a hot key for Year that would store the value into a variable and do the same with the Make and Model and then trigger another action that would then paste the 3 variables into the correct columns. You would have to somehow select the column to start the pasting and be able to change to the next column by using a Type Keystroke of tab or some other method.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Feasible in QuicKeys?

Postby Compelled » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Thank you.
Compelled

Return to QKW General Discussion