Switching active application; clicking in inactive window

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Switching active application; clicking in inactive window

Postby EditFast » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:41 am

Can QKW change which application is active (such as from Microsoft Word to a browser, or from a browser to an e-mail application)? (That can be done in QuicKeys for Mac by creating a shortcut containing this step: System > Switch Applications.)

I often need to simulate a click in a window that is visible but is not the frontmost window--and is in a different application from that of the frontmost window. Triggering a QKW sequence intended to do that always bring an error message saying:

Sequence '[name of the sequence]'
stopped - step 1 of [X] failed.
Press OK at edit this sequence

Evidently QuicKeys cannot simulate a click in a window in an application other than the active one. If I could somehow get QuicKeys to switch applications, the problem could be easily solved. (Telling QuicKeys to click on the icon for the desired application in the Task Bar--or whatever Microsoft calls that thing along the bottom of the monitor screen--brings the same error message.)

Is there a way to accomplish what I described above? (I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise with SP 1.) Thanks to anyone who can help.
EditFast

Re: Switching active application; clicking in inactive window

Postby gb2 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 am

you might need a Pause action so that it has time to switch to the other application before it does the click. You could also try Create>File & Folder Tools>Open action.

fyi - QuicKeys is only supported up to Windows XP.
gb2
Site Admin

Re: Switching active application; clicking in inactive window

Postby EditFast » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you very much, gb2. That's what I was looking for: File & Folder Tools > Open > Program can switch to a different application.
EditFast

Return to QKW How Tos