Help - Using QK and IE8 - Pasting username and Password

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Help - Using QK and IE8 - Pasting username and Password

Postby jems » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Everyone

What Am I Trying to Do?
I am trying to use QuicKeys to login into a web interface and then get the data for some monthly report.
My screen is set to 1440 x 900 and I am running Windows XP, SP3 with Internet Explorer 8.

I have two problems, but I will use a separate post for the 2nd problem.

Problem 1:
I need to log in to the web interface for EMC Customers Dashboard by inserting the Username and password, then hit Enter or click on the "Login" button.
So, I recorded the actions. cleaned them up a bit, added some waits and making sure the correct window is active etc,
At step 12 in the sequence, I use a mouse click to position the cursor in the Username box.
The sequence works to this point, and the cursor is blinking in the username box.

I then use "Insert Variable" to paste the username into the field., and this is where it breaks.
Wen I enter the username (even just a single character) for some reason, it picks a selection from the Favorites list
I have tried using a variable with the whole username, using "Type text" and then tried using 5 variables, entering the username a character at a time.

The variables I use contains the text "acust" (for explaining the problem I have used a dummy username and password).
However, it does not seem to matter what the text or first letter is, it never pastes the username into the field.

Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated.

Regards
jems
jems

Re: Help - Using QK and IE8 - Pasting username and Password

Postby jems » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi
As an FYI ...

I have found I can use Macro Recorder to paste the username and password.

From my QK sequence I open the web page etc, then do an Open File and open the file recorded in Macro Recorder Pro.
Once I have issued the Open File I then wait for the correct window to become active and the continue with the QK script.

I would not want to do all the scripting in Macro Recorder, as it is very basic and difficult to edit etc.
But id does seem to work reliably.

Naturally, I would much prefer to use QK to do all the scripting, but if it is not possible I do have a workaround.

Regards
Jems
jems

Postby gb2 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 am

QuicKeys has that problem and does not work in Internet Explorer 7 and above.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby jems » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi, thanks for confirming what I suspected.
I will use QK as much as I can and as the "control" process, and call AutoRecorder scripts where I need.

Regards
Jems
jems

Return to QKW How Tos