PDF Launching Into Badged App

PDF Launching Into Badged App

Postby go2jo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 pm

I've added a launch badge to Logic Pro. Figured I'd add the Logic PDF manual to its menu for easy access. But when I launch the file.pdf it launches into Logic Pro rather than the system default for PDF files. Now that's not logical on any level!

Took the same PDF and attached it to the Filemaker Pro launch badge menu ... Docktopus launched it into Filemaker rather than Preview.app.
go2jo

Re: PDF Launching Into Badged App

Postby gb2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 am

this is how the Launch Menu is explained in the manual:

All Other Files
    Default Action - Opens the file in the application the Launch Menu badge is placed on (if on an application Dock icon), otherwise opens the file in its default editor.
    With Option Key - Opens the file in the default editor for that file
gb2
Site Admin

Re: PDF Launching Into Badged App

Postby go2jo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:56 am

Sorry to say, that makes no sense at all. A file should always launch into its default application, unless I sanction it to be otherwise. That's a Mac standard. You've arbitrarily changed a standard Mac interface guideline. (If there are such things any longer.) An option key operation should be something other than the normal Mac function. If anything the action should be the opposite of what it currently is. If I put multiple file types into a DK menu, they should launch into the appropriate applications for their doc type. That's normal, expected behavior on a Mac. The current functionality is incredibly frustrating.

So in your workflow if I wanted to keep an Excel spreadsheet, a corresponding Word doc in the same launch menu attached to my accounting software, I'd have to REMEMBER to use the option key to NOT launch either of those docs into the accounting program, which more than likely will error out telling me it can't do that ... rather than just select the file and KNOW it will open with its appropriate application. That's counter-intuitive and counter-productive.

It's not like I can say, okay I'll use another product to do the same thing as DK. There isn't one. So either I have to grow accustomed to your way of thinking how a Mac should operate, or stop putting files in those menus.

That's my 2¢ U.S. :)
go2jo

Return to DK General Discussion