QuicKeys 4.0.7 and Lion

Re: QuicKeys 4.0.7 and Lion

Postby thoffman666 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 am

My biggest problem is with SoftKeys. Regardless of which shortcuts are put into a SoftKeys shortcut, when the SoftKeys shortcut is invoked, my choice from the SoftKeys list is not executed. The numbered choices appear as usual, and they disappear when I make a choice, but the shortcut hangs until I make QK the frontmost application, then the shortcut proceeds. If I individually invoke any of the shortcuts listed in a SoftKeys shortcut (i.e., directly, instead of via SoftKeys), that individual shortcut works fine.
thoffman666

Postby llee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I can also make SoftKeys work if I bring QuicKeys forward. That's not a very robust workaround, but it might be manageable if you can make comfortable triggers for doing it.
llee

Postby the Old Toad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:24 pm

All aspects of QuicKeys work except one: shortcuts in toolbars do not work when QK's window is not open. Abbreviations work, shortcuts with key combinations work, toolbars are visible. If I minimize QK's window with the middle, yellow button the toolbar shortcuts will work.
the Old Toad

Postby llee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:28 am

I created a workaround for the biggest QuicKeys problem I've encountered in Lion, which is the need to bring QuicKeys to the front when it stalls (already discussed here). I wrote an AppleScript to be used as the basis for an Automator-generated Mac OS X Service which can be configured to be activated with a keyboard shortcut (I use command-option-control-Q). It's not perfect, and it may take some tweaking and some getting used to, but if QuicKeys fails to act when I trigger a shortcut, I can usually trigger this Service to cause QuicKeys to pick up where it left off. I delayed sending QuicKeys back to the background for 3.1 seconds, because I can usually navigate my SoftKeys hierarchies in that amount of time. Others may need to adjust this interval.

Code: Select all
on run {input, parameters}
   (* Your script goes here *)
   tell application "QuicKeys" to activate
   do shell script "sleep 3.1"
   tell application "System Events"
      set visible of application process "QuicKeys" to false
   end tell
end run
llee

Postby the Old Toad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:17 pm

I used QuicKeys to bring QK to the front and then back again. The only problem I have is with Toolbars. QK has to be the front window so I click on the toolbar shortcut and activate the keystroke shortcut.

The shortcut is: Open Item (QuicKeys) and Close Window ➙ Action Close; Window Type ➙ any window; Identify by ➙ Mai