Dialog box sizing

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Dialog box sizing

Postby Husky86 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 am

I realize I may be asking the impossible here, but nonetheless here goes:

I’m a professional artist who works with a couple of different Adobe applications on a daily basis (Photoshop and Lightroom). About six months ago, something happened between Adobe and Apple with respect to the underlying code. (At this juncture, Adobe is blaming Apple, Apple is blaming Adobe… And nobody is getting anywhere.)

Here’s the problem: dialog boxes are automatically shrunk to the smallest size possible. This is particularly true with the Open dialog box. I work on a 27 inch iMac (5K) and it is beyond frustrating to have the Open dialog box represent this incredibly small window that takes up 5-10% of your screen when you would like it to take up about two thirds of the screen (as you are perusing various graphic files). Each and every time I want to use the Open dialog box I have to resize it — and I’m talking about each and every time (sometimes more than 100 times per day).

Is there any way that I can assign QuicKeys so that it can automatically resize this dialog box whenever it is presented?

One other caveat, however: another problem with the underlying code is the fact that the Open dialog box keeps shifting in its location. That’s right, it’s not just incredibly small, it’s also shifting in its location all over the screen. So trying to simply assign various mouse click steps doesn’t work, for instance.

Anyone who has any ideas on how to control this incredibly frustrating situation, please pass them along! Thanks in advance!
Husky86

Re: Dialog box sizing

Postby gb2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:12 pm

to get it to do it automatically you would have to override the command key for Open which I presume is command-o. So the shortcut would have a trigger of command-o and the first step would be a Type Keystroke of command-o to open the dialog and then steps to resize the dialog. This would only be automatic if you just use the keyboard to open the dialog not if you went to the File menu or clicked some other element that made the dialog open.

to resize you would use a Click step set to Click and Release Relative to Window and not Display. You would probably also want to show the Window Details and set it to click the lower right corner. You would have to find the right combination of settings so that it was able to find the dialog as the target by changing the Window Type and Identify By settings.

I don't have either program so can't give anymore detailed help then that, but it should be doable. I would not work on the automatic part until you get the resizing to work first.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby Husky86 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks gb2 - still playing around with it, but not making too much progress.
Husky86

Postby gb2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:32 am

if you go to the Shortcuts menu and select "Turn on Shortcut Debugging" that can help a lot so that you can see what window your settings are going to be clicking in.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos