Shortcut for writing shortcuts in QuicKeys itself

End user supplied how to documents and discussion.

Shortcut for writing shortcuts in QuicKeys itself

Postby polyvox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Dear Gurus,

I often find myself needing to write a temporary quick shortcut on the fly in QuicKeys to substitute for a series of keystrokes in another application. After all, this is what QuicKeys is for. But in the process of creating the shortcut I find myself having to repeatedly navigate to the same submenu in QuicKeys itself, namely CREATE>USER ACTIONS>TYPE KEYSTROKE. I hate using the mouse or the trackpad when I can use a macro instead. Is there a way to shorten this process in the one application that helps us all shorten other processes in other applications?

Thanks in advance for any help.
polyvox

Re: Shortcut for writing shortcuts in QuicKeys itself

Postby polyvox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Never mind. I just figured it out. All I have to do is enter one "CREATE>USER ACTIONS>TYPE KEYSTROKE" and then duplicate the step several times using Command-D. Then I can simply click on each step and edit the keystroke for each step.

Ha!
polyvox

Postby gb2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:07 pm

you can also use the Favorites feature of the Create menu so that you only have to go to the Create menu and Type Keystroke would be above the Actions section of the menu as a separate item.
gb2
Site Admin

Postby polyvox » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Great idea to add a particular shortcut to the favorites in the CREATE menu. But FAVORITES is grayed out. I wonder why?
polyvox

Postby polyvox » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

In the QuicKeys Help it says that Favorites can be set in the Shortcut Actions Palette. But when I navigate there from the CREATE menu there doesn't seem to be any way to add a shortcut. There is a "-" button at the top which apparently removes a shortcut from the list, but there is no "+" button to add a shortcut to the list. Did I push a wrong button somewhere?
polyvox

Postby gb2 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:28 pm

you drag a shortcut type from the right list to the left and Favorites becomes enabled.
gb2
Site Admin

Return to QKM How Tos